Ich

Guest goldygirl

Guest goldygirl

hey!

one of my goldies has ich so i put in ich remover, but now the waters gone green and my other 2 goldies just swim to the bottom of the tamk and stay there for hours on end, im scared they might die!

please help! is this normal? :ill

Hi goldygirl - that'll be the malachite green. Some fish are sensitive to this and if you use it, you should put a dark cloth over your tank as it is rendered ineffective when exposed to light.... or you can remove all the meds and try another way... by using salt. I'm going through this myself at the moment using salt and with great success.

So, if you would like to try this method, then simply get some salt (rock, sea or aquarium) and add 1 teaspoon per gallon - this will take the salinity to 0.1%.

12 hours later, add another teaspoon of salt per gallon (make sure to dissolve in tank water first) taking it to 0.2%.

And again, 12 hrs later (repeat) - taking your total salinity to 0.3%.

Then, if you have a heater, you can slowly raise the temp to around 80 degrees - this will speed up the ich's cycle and the salt will then destroy them.

Salt is the least invasive and harmful way of treating for ich - it's gentle on fish and trust me, ich won't survive it. Your filter will stay in tact during treatment which you will need to keep up for about 21 days.

Is your tank cycled? Is your water quality good at the moment?

Guest goldygirl

:D

thanks, my tank is cycled the thing that's weird is that all my water levels were fine!

can goldfish get ich from eating too much?

i'll try the salt thing.

Hi, I am going to move your thread into the diagnosis area. There you will find a red box at the top, please answer all the questions and we can help you better.

Fish cannot get ich from eating to much, so there is something going on with them.

Archived