Tank Size For Betta

Guest PitchBlackMoore

Guest PitchBlackMoore

How large should a tank for a betta be? My mum has agreed to let me have a betta once I get some money, but I want to know how large the tank should be.

I'd like some measurements, like in inches (I can't understand it when someone says "5 gallons" or something because I don't know how large the tank should be for that, whether it's 10cms long and 10 deep or what) of YOUR betta tank. Pictures would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

I'm not all that sure whether Kaiba's tank (my brother's betta, he used to be called Lance, so they're both the same fish) is big enough, but it's bigger than all the other tanks I've seen at the store for bettas. If I stretched my hand out I could reach both ends with my thumb and middle finger, just.

So, how large is your tank in inches or cms?

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

(I'm asking because I'm not sure if the 10-gals-per-fish rule is applied to bettas)

the 10 gallons per fish rule does not apply to bettas! although im sure it would love a tank that big!! :)

most of the tanks they try to sell just for bettas are too small. i am getting a 5 gallon but i think 2-2.5 would suffice. i looked at mmm.com and the 2.5 there is 11.375"W X 7.75"D X 14"H ...

im also no expert, just going by my opinion. im sure there are others here who may be able to give you a better answer!

hope this helps! bettas are great fishies to have!! :-D

Guest PitchBlackMoore

I'm asking because all over this forum, I've seen people say that their betta is in 1 gals, and people are saying that their betta's by itself in a 10 gal, and when I do a search it's very confusing. (Sorry!)

Thanks glitterfish!

The smallest tanks I use for my bettas is 2 gallons. That way, I can do weekly water changes and they stay healthy. With a smaller tank, you have to do more frequent water changes.

I also keep mine in 5 gallon tanks (divided in two, and I keep one betta in each side). In these tanks, I run an AquaClear mini (with filter floss draped over the outflow to cut down on the current). These tanks are cycled and I do partial water changes every two weeks (I change 50% of the water and rinse the sponges in the filter).

The little 2 gallon tanks measures approx. 8" across, and 10" high (they are hex tanks so that measurement is approximate). The 5 gallon tanks measure approx. 16" long x 8" wide x 10" tall (these are rectangular).

If you are going to need a heater, then it is best to look for a glass tank. I would recommend a 5 gallon glass tank, then you can buy a 25 watt heater and it will do a great job. I use Visi-therm 25 watt heaters by Marineland. You can also use a small filter on them and cycle the tank.

I use smooth, polish river rocks in my betta tanks rather than gravel. I seem to have healthier bettas when I don't use gravel.

The thing about keeping bettas, is that everyone has their preferences. There really are a lot of ways of keeping bettas healthy, and I have only given you my preferences :D

Guest PitchBlackMoore

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions!

I change Kaiba's water every three days, even though he's my brother's (He's only 11, and can't change it himself without making a huge mess), so water changes aren't a problem with me.

Thanks for the suggestions about river rocks as well!

It really depends on how often you want to change the water. If you are fine with changing the water 3-4 times a week, you can get a 2 gallon. 2-3 times a week, a three/four gallon, and once a week would be 5/6 gallon. These are only general guidelines tho, and you need to feed your fish little and test the water for ammonia a lot in order to know when to change the water. When you see ammonia, that is when you need to change the water. If you get a filter, thats a whole 'nother story :)

I have a 3 gallon and I do at least a partial water change every other day to every three days. The dimensions are 12" long X 7" wide X 7.5" inches tall. Lemme see if I can find a piccy...

Here's one :)

DSCN0557.jpg

All my Bettas are in 1 gal tanks (except Marina. She's with Cracker) They all like it better than the stupid cups. But I think one gallon should be the BARE minimum for a Betta, no matter how tiny they are.

my Bettas are all in a 1 gallon and 2 of my boys have been in them for over a year now :) I usually do 100% once a week and sometimes 50% during the week, and the weekly 100%, I know I should be changing it more =\ They both get a lot of algae quick though.

Thanks :) His name is Orchard. If you would like some better pics, search the betta forum for posts by me, maybe search "Orchard picture show". He's a special needs betta, so pretty much everyone here knows who he is lol.

Also, since this is your first betta, I'll give some tidbits of advice. Make sure he has some hiding places to feel comfy (bettas who have been living in tiny cups most of their lives are so scared when introduced to a tank with some actual gallonage). Also, gravel is definately not necassary, and it is probably just a pain to clean all the time. Marbles or large smooth river rocks are much easier to blean, but bare bottom is even easier. Make sure you buy a water conditioner that removes chlorines and chloramines from tap water. Tap w/water conditioner is best for your betta. Make sure you buy a good food. The best betta food you can easilly purchase is Hikari betta pellets (if you live in the US). Many times LFS employees try to sell 1st time betta owners freeze dried bloodworms for a staple diet. Its kinda like junk food to them, it should only be an occasional treat. Make sure you don't feed them too much or the ammonia will go way up, and they will get constipated or bloated. Make sure his home is totally covered on top, and if you take him out in a container to do waterchanges, make sure that is covered too cuz they are very good jumpers! Most important...Have fun with him and love him :D Bettas are very lovable! :heart

Anyone want to add any more basic info?

Guest PitchBlackMoore

Orchard is so cute!

I have goldfish, so I know about the feeding, chemicals, ammonia, cover and gravel. ;)

Thanks for the other suggestions, though, they are appreciated. I didn't know about the hiding places, so I'll get him an ornament for him to rest behind.

The pet store sells crickets that are in a variety of sizes. What do you think about adding that to a betta diet?

(My brother also uses Bettamin fish flakes, and they helped Goku a tremendous amount. Are those OK? I've heard they aren't good because it encourages the fish to come to the surface, but I know that the bettas do that in the wild too because they are used to living in still water, or something like that.)

Yep bettamin sounds fine :)

I dunno about crickets...but then again I am very weary of buying live foods from petstores. All their fish are dying and ill with more than one sickness, and its the same way with their crickets. I had to buy some because I kept a toad from school over the summer, and about 50% always died before they were fed. Wild crickets may have stumbled across a bit of pesticide or other yuckies.

• 2 months later...

Archived