Is There Really Such A Thing.........

tinker

I've seen a few pics now (only two or three times) of what appear to be actual BLUE goldfish. Not the silver they call "blue" but actual blue fish. Is this a trick of the camera or my monitor? I've tried to go0gle this but so much comes up, i'm not sure how to narrow the search down.

Here's one from goldfishconnection.com that has that awesome color combo of yellow and blue:

jea1008.jpg

There's also one in the member philly-billy-rock's sig line.

Ive seen the goldfish at various petshops they call blue but look like a greyish silver. I know once upon a time, and i wish i would have gotten it, but up in seattle i went into a petshop that had what they called blue goldfish, and these fish seriously looked blue! I guess its really hard to say. I know they inject some fish with dyes to make them certain colors, but usually thats tetras and its totally obvious, and is usually a bright pink, yellow, orange or green color.

Nice pic of the ranchu, but I think it's just the reflection of the light off it's back, I think it's just the fish has a real velvety black coloured back. Jess is right, 'blue' goldfish is sort of a steely grey/blue colour, or in shubunkins/calicos. where there is black pigment deep under white scales giving the illusion of blueness. Goldfish colours are all combinations of Red, Yellow, White (or no pigment) and Black, these in combination with matt/shiny scales give all the different colour combinations seen in goldfish. The pigments produced in goldies are almost identical to the pigments in human hair colour, -we don't -naturally- grow blue hair. ;)

Again, to add further to Jess's comment, you can get painted fish, even goldies! 'jellybean' fish, are just baby pearlscales that have been dyed all different pastel colours (one of which is blue), this practice is detrimental to the fishs health, I read on a site posted by, I think it was Annette, 80% die within a couple of weeks of the the dying process. This is a really sad practice. :crp

Again, to add further to Jess's comment, you can get painted fish, even goldies! 'jellybean' fish, are just baby pearlscales that have been dyed all different pastel colours (one of which is blue), this practice is detrimental to the fishs health, I read on a site posted by, I think it was Annette, 80% die within a couple of weeks of the the dying process. This is a really sad practice. :crp

411843[/snapback]

Aww, thats sad. :(

Guest WoodenCoyote

I've had three blue shubunkin actually, in the ornamental pond - Arrow, Yani and August. They were sky-blue with black and orange spots. Only August is still alive, sadly.

Archived