Ragged Fins On A Fantail

Guest Rach1

I have 1 fantail goldfish in a 12 gallon eclipse tank. He seems to be doing well, except his fins have become a little ragged. I test water weekly and results normally as follows:

Nitrites=0, Ammonia=0, Nitrates=5-10, pH=7.6-7.8

I change 4 gallons of water a week and change filter every 2 weeks.

I put 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt in last week to new water added to see if that would help, but not noticed anything yet.

Fish's temprement is fine, no clamping of fins and still eats plenty.

I feed him daily a pinch of BioBlend goldifsh food by sprinkling in and letting it sink. It normally gets half way down and gets gobbled up.

I haven't added any medication to the tank.

I use a water conditioner (Stress Coat) when adding new water

Am I doing anything wrong to cause the ragged fins? Is this just a problem with fantails? Anything I am doing wrong, please guide me!

Hi Rach!! First off I would like to thank you for posting all the info we need, it is a big help.

How long have you had the fish?

Is this new, his fins?

Posting a picture would be great, you can use photobucket to do this.

ARe the fins like "fringe" on a jacket or just uneven?

I have had the fish only 4 weeks.

The tank was cycled before I put him in.

The fins are just a little ragged. This only started about a week ago. Before his fins were perfect. The dorsal fin is hardly affected, it is mainly his more 'flowing' fins which are affected like his tail fins. When I say ragged, I mean that the line of the fin is now jagged and uneven, does this make sense? I don't think it is like a fringe.

I have some artificial trees and a castle in the tank. Are they maybe causing him damage if he brushes up against them? He darts around a lot, so it made me wonder.

I have no heater in the tank. I do have an aerator.

Hi Rach, and welcome!

Looks like your little one may be going thru the same thing my Johnny is. Laurie has helped me....take a look at my post and pics regarding it:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=36855

Does your fishy's tail look a bit like Johnny's? Not fringe, more like z's?

Yes the fins look a little like z's. I read the link, and it sounds similar. I feel so bad that when I got him, his fins were perfect and now they are ragged. Should I just wait and see what happens and leave him alone?

I put 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt in 4 gallons of new water last week and was planning to do it again this weekend, good idea or not?

Hey Rach,

Here's a link regarding salt, fyi....

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=8382

If you want to continue with the salt, just be sure to add an amount back into the tank equal to the amount you took out via the water change.

Is it a good idea or not? Well.....I don't think it could hurt you right now. Maybe salt at a low level for a week or two and watch what happens.

I know how you feel...you want to prevent it from getting worse. If you can add some pics, we can rule out anything more problematic.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I added 2 tablespoons last week to 4 gallons of new water (no salt was in tank water), should I add just a 1/2 tablespoon this week?

Working on getting some photos for you.

Thank you for all the help!

Your salt dose should be 1 tsp per gallon. This equals 0.1%.

To get the 0.3% you should add the appropriate salt every 12 hours for 3 times. You have to increase the % slowly or it can shock the fish.

So you will need to sit down and figure out how much salt is in there and then add or take out if you are over.

Archived