Can Anyone Help Me?

BuriedAlive55

Ok This morning I woke up turned on the light to wake my fishies and feed them. But I noticed Pumpkin (Oranda) was sitting at the bottom, thinking maybe he way be still waking up I gave him a min. But he just stayed at the bottom. He moved around a little but he just moved enough to grab a piece of food! I say that he had a white slimish looking stuff all over his body on his tummy his fins everything!! What is this about??? What is this?? What do I need to do??

My tank:

The pH is steady at 7.3-7.5

The Nitrates and Nirates are at 0

The Ammonia is 0.5 (almost cleaning day)

The filters are 1 top fin filter for 55 Gal and I added a 20gal bio-filer for extra filtration.

I do weekly water changes every friday w/o fail

and Pumpkin has been asking normal up until today and sitting at the bottom is not normal at all!!! He is a great swimmer and he loves to play around with the other fish

Also while he was sitting at the bottom he started bitting the other fish that would come near him he bit the slime sucker as he was chillin on the bottom and his tail come into the facinity and he nippet it!! then the big angel fish swam buy and he bit at his eye to make him go away!!! Umm I think that is it

Hello! :)

Pleco's should not be kept with goldfish are they are attracted to goldfish's heavy slime coat. If you can, I would move the pleco to another tank. :)

Now, what you're talking about sounds a bit like fungus. Is it fuzzy looking? What colour is it?

I didn't know that. He is a big scardy cat he doesn't even bother any of the fish. He is big tho. So u think i need to take him out. because that would mean getting rid of him. becasue everyone of my tanks has a goldie in it. How do u keep up w the algie problem then??

A FUNGUS!!! well, it is white it looks like a whitish clearish coating all over his body on his sides and a little on his fins. He just looks sooo sad. And he is soo social he sees me and get exited (FOOD FOOD FOOD) today he was just anti social and didn't even care.

No no, don't get rid of him. I guess there are exceptions to every rule and if you are certain that the pleco leaves the goldies alone then... keep him in there. :)

So, the white stuff though, does it look fuzzy?

if it is a fungus what should I do to treat it? Does he need to be separated?? He is now sittin at the top of the water like he needs air!!! i am sooo worried please help? He is in a 55 gal with about 6 other roommates should I move him, leave him what about the other fish?

please help me!!

I tested my water to get an accurate reading they are as follows...

the Nitrate is accually 40 (but I need to clean tomorrow)

Nitrite is 0

the total hardness is 75 (soft)

Total Alkalinity is 0

pH is 6.2 but it has always been low ranging between 6.2-6.8

water temp is 80

As long as your pH stays constant and does not fluctuate it should not be a problem. If it fluctuates, that is when it will cause trouble.

I would treat with Maracyn. There are 2 kinds I and II - use the one for fungus. It should be ok for your fish to stay in the original tank. It is not a bad idea to treat everyone since they could get it later.

Treat as the directions say and hopefully the fungus will go away.

What kind of aeration do you have in the tank? Apart from the filter, do you have any air stones or bubble walls in the tank?

Accually he is doing worse today!! I am sooo worried he is now sitting at the bottom and when I fed him he just sorta swam slowly around he maybe took like 2 bites. That is soooooo not like him!!! I am sooo worried I did add some salt, and I am going to try that 3% salt as well, is this the wrong thing to do. I did move him to s smaller tank so I could keep an eye on him better but it is colder water.

OHH MAN i am sooo scared I don't want to loose another one!! please help me!!!

My baby pumpkin is sick!! i dunno what to do!! I really do not want to loose this one.

He statred on in my 55 gal he was doinf great I have had him about 3 weeks now. a few days ago I noticed a fuzzish whitish stuff all over his body. at first it was on his sides on his tummy and he seemed ok.....then yesterday he was just swimming in one spot in between the two big filters. So I decded to move him to a smaller tank. and when I went to turn off the light for the night he was in the courner laying on the rocks not wanting to swim!! and this morning when I went to feed him and his roomie he didn't seem interrested in the food at all!! Which is NOT like him at all!! I am soo sorried becasue he has gotten worse sooo fast. I dunno what to do? Someone please help me!!

my stats are:

pH at a steady 6.3-6.8

the Nitrates are 0

the nirites are at the high end of safe (i don't remember the #)

it has a regular filter and the tank has been running for like 4 months

To answer your question re Maracyn (this is taken from this site, btw):

Maracyn

Background: active ingredient 200 mg of erythromycin, with B-complex vitamins. A broad-spectrum antibiotic used in the treatment of body fungus, columnaris, fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, secondary infections and other gram-positive bacterial infections and fungal diseases.

Some more: Maracyn is ideal for just sterilizing the tank.

Dosage: 1 tablet per 10 gallons of freshwater or 20 gallons of saltwater, for 5 days.

Precautions:Remove any carbon from the filter before treatment, otherwise the carbon will remove the medication. A slight cloudyness might occur in the tank, and it is said by the maker, Mardel, that it is not suposed to do harm to the biological filtration, if used alone.

By any chance can you post a picture?

Is your tank cycled? I can't tell....do you have an ammonia reading? From your alternate post in the disease/diagnosis section you stated that your nitrItes were in the safe range. By any chance did you mean your nitrAtes?

If you can get your hands on the Maracyn, do so. And as Florissa said, treat the entire tank. I am not sure salt will help much.....but if you can't get your hands on the Maracyn right away, you may want to salt until then.

Please post back.

Well, unfortunally I am at work so i cannot test my water but I will be home in 30min.s so i will test it. I do have an ammonia test but i broke the test tube so I am unable to test the water. but it is due for it"s weekly water change. should I do the water change? like normal. and i am going to run to the pet store when i get home to get that stuff esspeically if the salt isn"t going to help. Also I will snap a pic of him and post it as soon as i get home!! may be then u can help me better!!

So i will post back in like 30min THANK U SOO MUCH!!!

Yes, do the water change like normal. You want your water to be pristine.

When you get the medicine, follow the directions on the package.

Is he in his own tank now or still in the big one?

Florissa, I am sure, hit it on the head w/the dianosis of a fungus. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience in this since I have only been in the fish world for a few months...but a picture says a thousand words. So if you can get one, we can help you.

Yes, a picture would be great! It is hard to diagnose for sure without seeing the problem. :)

Just follow the directions on the maracyn box and it will lead you in the right direction. Be sure to do a large water change before starting the treatment.

Thank you for all of ur help but unfortunally it came to late for my baby!! Pumpkin passed way today!!

Thank you sooo very muc for all of your help!!!

P.S. Do u think my other fish are at risk? I did a 100 percent water change in the tank that he died in. but he went from ym 55 to a 10 gal so are all of those fish at risk?? Or do I just need to keep an eye out!!

Archived