Will New Filter Help Me?

Guest PetalFlower

Guest PetalFlower

While I'm waiting to get my "real" tank, which is going to be at least 40gl (which my hubby promises will be soon) I'm stuck with a 5gl. I just picked-up a Penguin BIO Wheel 100gph, which by the way total rocks! :rockon I also added a c-100 ammonia remover pillow to the filter.

How much will this help as much as I'm hoping? I was running one those crappy little whisper in tank filters that just wasn't cutting it. I'm changing out enough of my water enough everyday to keep my amonia levels at .25pp. I'm hoping that this will cut that down some.

My other params are

NI - 0

NA - 0

Gh - 75

KH - 300

PH - 8.4

BTW - I have 2 fantials (Xaiyou & Finnley) in my tank both about 1.5 - 2" body length and growing! :yikes

As long as you plan on getting that new tank set up soon, I think with all the water changes that your doing they should do okay for the time being, How long have they been in the 5 Gal?

YAY!! The Penguin rocks!!! I know what you mean about the dinky lil filters..I always upgrade, Don't you wish they would give you a bigger filter with the start up kits?!! ^_^

Keep us posted on the new tank arrival......Your fishies will love it!! :heart

Guest PetalFlower

Unfortunately I have been in a 5 gallon for a little over a month. I rescued 2 fish from work, but didn't know anything about them yet. When I got home I tried to find out what I needed, and most of the stuff I found said I only needed one gallon per inch of fish. They were only about 1 inch at the time and I knew I would upgrade soon, plus I was just in a panic to get something "NOW" since they had been in about 16oz of water all day with a frikin' flower floating on top. One was almost belly up by the time I got back from the store!

I found pretty quickly after find this site that they needed 10gal each. Yikes, so I've been playing keep the ammonia levels down ever since, and of course it will never cycle like this, but I'm just worried about keeping them comfortable until they get their new home.

The new filter will help some, but the key to keeping them healthy until the move to a bigger tank is lots of water changes (like you are doing).

Also, it would be a good idea to add some of the old filter media to the new filter when you set it up. This will help seed the new filter with the bacteria necessary to convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how your fish are doing :)

Guest PetalFlower

Thanks for the advice!

My fish seem to be happy and healthy from what I can tell, and growing fast! Finnley had a few ammonia burns on his fins which are now completely gone! Xaiyou's colors have been stable for a while now too. She's definately chocolate now. They're eating well and seem to be very active. They like to play in the bubbles, sift through the gravel and follow each other around. I rarely see them just hangin' out in one spot for long, and I've never seen them sleep (probably cause I'm sleepin' too).

Archived