Sign in to follow this  
glitterfish

My Betta Is Dying!

he acts like hes scared and he wasnt like that before. ive had him since june. i did the water change with the water that sat over night and added some stuff for stress into the water. i do have a test kit. i will test after this. i dont have a test for nitrates yet though.

no he doesnt have anything to hide behind. i put nothing in there because i didnt want to take away from his swimming room.

i dont know if he will make it until i get a new tank! :(

ok not good. the ph says acidic 6.2 and the ammonia is actuall only .25 which could be better, i know but thats not as bad. i use jungle quick dips... dont know how accurate on a small scale they are?

I'd say they are pretty accurate, I used to use them. I didn't like them because they were so expensive for the amount of tests you got, and the range isn't that wide. Is 6.2 the lowest the strip goes? If the pH has always been that way, this shouldn't be what is bothering him. You can tell how stable the pH is by looking at the kH. Doesn't the strip test that? When he freaks out, does he flick his body on the marbles or the glass by anychance? Or twitch? .25 for ammonia is still pretty high.. can you do another water change? Be sure to rinse out the marbles too, since those trap a lot of waste.

What does his poop look like? Short and brown? Or stringy, long, white or clear?

yes 6.2 is the lowest the strip goes.

i will do another water change tomorrow(later today). will leave water sit out again for him.

not sure what you mean by kH? there isnt anything that says that on the bottle.

and youre right, they are expensive for as many tests you get and as many times you have to test things. what kind do you use now?

yes he flips against the marbles at times and flips himself upside down sometimes too. then he seems to be breathing heavily.

and i always rinse the marbles. his water LOOKS immaculate. i will update you again after i clean the water out again.

thanks for all the helpful support!

short and brown poopy. i feed him freeze dried bloodworms.

Look VERY VERY closely. Do you see any red dots on his body? If he is flicking himself against things, it is likely that he could have parasites. That would also explain some of his skiddishness and not wanting to eat. Its hard to cure a betta after it has stopped eating, because this is a sign that it has gotten bad. By flipping upside down, do you mean like when he is "scratching" himself, or do you think he's got some swim bladder issues? In case you don't know, the swim bladder is the organ that inflates or deflates to help a fish stay upright and swim controllably. Fish use it to help stay in one spot. If there is something wrong with the swim bladder, they usually float at the surface on their side or upside down. In rare cases, they can sink to the bottom. Either way, they are stuck this way for a period of time. This sounds like a type of parasite...you said you were going to the store on sunday...is it possible to go tomorrow instead? Pick up a parasite medication, such as Jungle Labs Parasite Clear. The tablet will be designed to dose 10 gallons, so crush up the tablet and divide. If your vase is a little less than a gallon, dose a little less than 1/10 of a tablet. While you are doing a water change add the meds. When it looks dissolved, put your betta back in.

The test kit I use now is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Masterkit. It is very accurate and has a wide range. The kit will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH (I think..there might be one more) and you can buy the additional kH and gH separately. I think your pH could be lower than your test will show..thats not good x_X Do you have the 5 in one test strip or a diff kind?

On a side note, freeze dried bloodworms don't make a very good diet, they are more of a treat. Don't worry about that right now tho :P

Hang in there!! If you have a plastic plant from another healthy tank, try putting it in his vase so he will feel a little more secure.

OK! I will *try* very hard to get to the petshop tomorrow.

About the bloodworms. He wont eat anything else!! Ive trying pellets and flakes. Doesnt eat them. Stubborn fishie!!

You know what? Now that you say it, he does have some red spots on his head. Where could he have got that from??? I thought it was just his coloration. It doesnt seem like he cant stay straight, its like after he gets worked up, hes tired.

The strips I have, have a 5 range of colors. They each only test for one thing. I will look for what you have while at the store.

I appreciate all of your help and all the time you spend with me!!

On his head its more likely that its just coloration, but its really hard to tell without a very good picture or actually being there. Look on his body, if that is where he is flicking, it is likely that it is there. You may not see them, there are lots of different parasites. Another good medication is Prazi-pro. See if they have that first, as it is a good defense against parasites and is slowly becoming more common in petstores. If they don't have it, get the parasite clear from Jungle labs.

I have to go...the computer's going to kick me off in four minutes. I hope others can help you as I really don't know that much about treating illness, I've just got a lot of first hand experience.

Thanks so much for everything. Check back when youre back online!

Oh, the masterkit is a chemical drop kit with test tubes and such. If you are going to vvvv, print out the page from the website on it and bring it with...I could have saved $15 that way!! :D

unfortunatly there are no vvvv around me!! just mmm. i should try the same thing there. maybe ill get lucky. :)

i just looked at the betta again and those spots dont really look like coloration. they look weird. i think i definitely need to medicate!!

Make sure you get your ammonia down to zero before you start meds. If your fish does have a disease, he needs pristine water to get better. On the otherhand, all of this could be caused by ammonia poisoning. Look:

The Effects of Ammonia on Fish

When there is more than zero ppm of ammonia in a tank, it burns the fish. It burns their gills, eyes, skin/scales, nerves and internal organs. It is painful to the fish and can kill fish in a very short time. Some of the signs of ammonia poisoning/burns are:

Flashing - when a fish is being burnt by ammonia, it tries to get away from the pain and damage that is being caused. Since this is impossible, it looks to us as though the fish is making short rushes and spastic movements in his tank. He may even run into the walls of the tank in his efforts to shake off the burning. This is called flashing.

Rubbing - although this behavior is more common with a parasite infection, it can also indicate ammonia poisoning. The fish will rub his gills or eyes against objects in the tank, including gravel, plants and decorations. He is trying to remove whatever it is that is causing him the pain.

Frayed fins - if the fish's fins look ragged and torn, he may have ammonia poisoning. The ammonia eats away at the fins from the tip toward the body. In some cases, it can begin at the body and move outward. This is not to be confused with finrot, which looks like the fish's fins are melting away. Ammonia poisoning can lead to finrot, however. If the fin is damaged to the point that the poisoning has reached the body, the fins may not grow back. If caught before it reaches the body, fins can usually grow back, but they often won't be as colorful or smooth as the original fin.

Lilac colored or bleeding gills - most healthy fish will have reddish gills. Lilac colored gills or bleeding gills can be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

Gasping at the surface - since breathing the water ingests ammonia laden water into the fish's gills, he may try to obtain his air from the clean air at the surface of the tank. Gills that have been ammonia poisoned makes it very difficult for the fish to get oxygen and he may also show labored breathing below the surface.

Lethargy - a fish that is suffering from ammonia poisoning may become lethargic, his movement slowing down to a fraction of his normal activity.

Red streaks - red streaks are the first sign of septicemia, which is normally a bacterial infection. In fish with ammonia poisoning, this symptom may also occur as the ammonia causes hemorrhaging in the delicate circulatory system.

Loss of Color - The stress of ammonia poisoning will cause the fish to lose color. The color may fade to a lighter shade of the original color or it may fade completely.

can i use water from my tropical tank for him until i get the new tank cycled? the ammonia is at 0.

alright, i shall do some work and see what i can do!!

In the past I have used filter media from a healthy tank to jumpstart cycling. I don't know if that helps, but I wish you the best of luck with your little guy!

Well, I woke up this morning to find that Ninzilla had passed during the night. :(

I thank everyone who gave me advice, I guess I just didnt help soon enough. Poor little guy. :cry

I dont think Ill be getting another one for awhile. Going to concentrate on the goldies for now.

Once again, thanks everyone for all the help!

I'm very sorry Glitter :( You did the best you could for him, and I'm sure he appreciated that. Remember to disinfect any equimpment you used with him before using with other fish. You can do this with bleach water, then rinse rinse rinse rinse, and let bake in the sun. I'll see you over in the goldfish section :)

thanks everyone. he was a sweet fishie. always came up for feeding time. was so excited!! i hated to see him suffer :(

I am so sorry you lost him :( He was a very beautiful fish :heart

:rip: ninzilla