My Betta Is Dying!

glitterfish

My betta Ninzilla has been acting strange the last couple of days. He has stopped eating and just kinda lays around. He still swims over when I go in but the food is always left on top. I dont see anything strange on his body. He looks as good as ever! Any suggestions? :crp

Can you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH and post the results here? How often do you do water changes, how much, do you use soap when you clean the tank, how big is your tank, and do you use waterconditioner? I know its a lot of questions, but if you can answer them, it will help us help you.

i keep him in a large vase with NO plant. i change the water once a week and do not use soap. i am purchasing a 2.5 gallon this weekend for him however. maybe he will snap back after that? i have noticed that the room has gotten cooler since the weather changed outside. could that have something to do with it?

no water conditioner or any other sorts of chemicals that i use for my other fishies. man, i sound like a horrible person!!!

help me but dont tell me im a bad fishie mom!!

Okay, if there is a warmer place in the house, bring him there. Set out a bucket of water to do a full water change tomorrow. Tap water has bad chemicals like chlorine in it, and you need a dechlorinator or waterconditioner to get rid of it. For now, letting the new water sit for 24 hours should get rid or all or most of it. Tomorrow, do a full waterchange, and you should do waterchanges much more than once a week :) I hope he hangs in there, and make sure you buy some water conditioner soon so you can do faster waterchanges instead of letting water sit. Do you know how many gallons it is or what fraction of a gallon it is? Good for not using soap :)

i didnt realize until i came to this site that bettas need all the stuff other fish do for some reason. how horrible! but i will do the water change tomorrow and get a new, bigger tank for him sunday. i feel so bad! i had 32 bettas at one time and never did any of that stuff either! the vase is probably a little under a gallon. its a pretty good sized vase. thank you, kissy, for your help. i will let you know how he is tomorrow! :hug

ok i have the bucket of water sitting in the other room for tomorrow and i moved him to the warmer living room!

oh, and i do have water conditioner for my other tanks! just never thought to use it for him, im horrid!

In a gallon you'd have to change the water twice a week and you should probably pick up a tiny heater before winter sets in to keep him swiming around happily. This will be easier to fit in a larger container.

I just got some heaters that can go in 8cm of water, submersible and thermostat controlled.

I find that bettas will slow down if their water gets cooler, so that could be causing the lethargy in your betta.

A good water conditioner to use is Prime. I have had good success with it with my bettas.

Also, as previous posters have mentioned, a small tank that can take a small heater is a good idea. I have used 25 watt visi-therm heaters by Marineland in my small betta tanks. You can set the temperature that you want with them.

nooppee sells a little 5 gallon tank kit that isn't expensive and it comes with a light hood, and it is made of glass, so it is perfect for a heater :)

I currently house most of my bettas in five gallon tanks (I divide them in two, and keep a male betta in each side :-)

Wow he is very pretty :) Do I see a bit of fin rot tho? Its hard to tell with the fuzzyness. Do his fins look ragged at all? Instead of aging water overnight, you can use the waterconditioner you use on your other tanks.

i dont think he has fin rot. they have always had a ruffly look to the edges. like i said, he looks very good physically. just seems a bit depressed.

cant wait to get the larger tank for him!

I don't know much about heaters, I hope someone can help you out with the wattage. I just asked about the wattage for a 3 gal plastic tank in my heater thread, maybe you can ask there.

May I suggest something? It might be worthwhile to buy a ten gallon tank ($11 at nnnnnn) and a glass divider ($13ish). I think you need aquarium sealant too, but I'm not sure. This way you can divide the ten gallon in half and have room for another betta. If you do this, make sure the water line is lower so neither can jump and that you get a tank with a top. If you are not planning on getting a small filter, this settup would work great for you, and its usually less than buying two five gallon tanks :)

2.5 USG with a 25W or 50W heater is all you need if you're prepared to change the water twice a week. Try to get a heater with a thermostat and remember to turn it off before you do the water changes.

thanks for all the advice. i think i am still going to go with just one 5 gallon. one betta. do you think a heater would melt an acrylic tank? im thinking it comes with a filter and such already so that will be nice. if it does have a filter do i need to do 100% water changes?

Try to get a heater with 25w...and read my thread questions about heaters! We are like asking the same questions at the same time lol.. kinda freaky. I'd think that with a fully cycled filter, you would only need to do a 25% water change once a week like with other aquariums, but I'm not sure and I'll let more experienced betta keepers answer that one. I strongly recomend cycling your filter someplace else away from your betta. Cycling can be very hard on fish, especially bettas with those long fins suseptible to rot. If you can remove the filter, maybe switch it spots with your betta and cycle it in a vase or bucket, while you keep your betta in the five gallon. Here is how to cycle fishlessly: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html. I found that the right kind of ammonia was impossible to find...it can't have any surfactants, soap, additives, fragrences etc, it should be clear, and shouldn't foam when you shake it. Instead, I just added a small pinch of fish food every day. It worked the same way, but maybe took a tad bit longer to start in the beginning because you need to wait for the the food to decompose.

Thanks so much Kissy! I was reading your thread too!! Yes that is weird about asking the same things at once! lol.

Anyways youve been so much help, I will read the link you sent me now!

:D

well i did the water change yesterday afternoon and he is still not eating as of 1:30 this am. when i go to look at him he spazzes out. goes really fast around the bowl. i dont know what to do!

I'm really hoping he's not sick :( When you say he spazzes, is this a good spaz or a bad spaz (good: wiggles around like he's happy to see you. bad: scared, trying to get away, something is wrong). You can't really describe this, its more of a gut feeling. Does he have anything to hide behind? How long have you had him? Having the water params are important..if you can't afford a test kit, bring a sample of water to the LFS next time you can and ask them to test for pH, kH, gH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrites.

Archived