Heaters

Kissy

Orchard needs a little heater :)

My hardy tropicals and past bettas were always fine with the temps since it didn't really get that cold here, but Orchard's a special needs fish and he needs one to keep fin rot at bay at least for the colder months. He lives in a plastic 3ish gallon tank, about 12" long X 6" wide X 8" tall. I'm estimating on the dimesions, I'll post back when I find a ruler :) I'm extremely weary of heaters. I've never owned one, but I'm so afraid it will malfunction!! I'm looking for a reliable internal heater, preferably with a thermometer too so I can keep track of the temp. Any suggestions? Orchard doesn't like living in the bathroom, he misses my bedroom lol.

I have never seen a heater that small with a thermostat. I do use them without - I have thermometers which I check regularly & so far them seem to be doing well.

I am going to be trying a new brand this winter though (I have been using aquarium Jr (I think that's the right name) - I just found it & it looked like it *might* secure to the wall better & it's super thin to it should take up less space (not that the other one took up alot though!)

The new one is the hydor mini good for 2-5 gal tanks (the other one was good up to 5 gal as well) The new one has a chart on the side of the box with the approx temp change depending upon tank size.-I'll post back & let you know how it goes. I did like the old ones - I just had to go to Wallmart to get them & it's really far away for me) (It looks like a heating pad & the directions state it can even go on the bottom - covered in gravel! It states on the box it's OK for acrylic & glass tanks)

Good Luck! :D

Mine's a Pro Aqua 50w but it's imported from Europe, so may not be in the US. The waterline is 8cm above the bottom and it is submersible and has a thermostat. It's only AUS$14 which isn't much in US$.

I use stick on thermometers to double check the temp.

I use a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater on my 6 ga. Betta tank. It's a GREAT heater. It is rated for tanks 2-7 gallons, it does have a thermostat, which is surprisingly accurate, and is only 7" long. I highly recommend this heater for small aquariums.

Rick

I seem to have the same 2 heaters that FishAreNewToMe has. However, I haven't used either of them yet. I originally got the one that looks like a little heating pad that can lay flat under the gravel. Then I saw a regular looking one at nnnnnn that suctions on to the side. But since neither have a thermostat I've been wary of using them. I don't want my water temp to fluctuate too much.

Does anyone know if these heaters are constantly on? I mean if my tank water is naturally 78 and it heats the water 4 degrees, then does that mean that if one day my house is warmer than usual and my tank water is naturally 82 then will the heater keep heating up the 4 degrees and it will be 86 degrees?

Ooo I have the same question as grubgal. My house temp is fluctuating like crazy because of the open windows at night right now. Its back in the 90's during the day tho, so I've got some time to buy a nice heater. I guess others are wanting to know because cooler temps are on their way (or have already come for most of you guys) I'm going to write down a few of those names and take the list with me to the store next time I go.

I have not had any problems with the Jr Aquatic - it stays pretty constant at 78 degrees (I have to say that we do have AC in the summer so I don't have wild temp swings except in the spring/fall when heat & AC are off (I leave it in there year round).

The packaging on the hydor seems to state that it will raise temps a certain # of degrees - regardless of outside temp. I am planning to use that heater in a room that stays pretty cold all day during the winter so I'm not too worried about it I'll let you know how it works though!

(Be careful of higher wattage - esp in acrylic tanks. Some heaters will melt the side walls or cause them to bow due to the intense heat. It is somewhat safer in glass tanks but you have to be careful that you can get the temp low enough if you have a smaller volume of water)

Hope this helps! :D

I don't plan on using a heater for most of the year...its just not necassary lol. I will need to use it when we switch from AC to windows like this time of year and maybe feb-marchish. I can't remember how cold it gets from here til then with the heating, I guess we'll see.

Can someone recomend a safe wattage for my little plastic tank? Under 25w maybe? I don't want to hurt my baby, or his tank~

Kissy - I was just looking at vvvv.com and found 25 W heaters for 3-5 gallon tanks. There are also a few on Ebay.

I may end up ordering mine online if there isnt one in the mmm stores or Petland.

Hope this helps! (a little?) :D

As an aside - here's what vvvv is recommending regarding wattage

The rule of thumb when buying a heater is 5 watts for each gallon the aquarium holds. Typically, one heater is sufficient for an aquarium. However, for better heat distribution in larger aquariums, especially tanks more than 36 inches in length, it's best to have two heaters.

:D

Thanks for the info :) Orchard lives in a three gallon tank, but I only fill it up to about 2.7 gallons. So I will probably want something under 15 watts? This is a really stupid question, but how do I "be careful" not to overheat and warp the plastic? Is the heater hot to the touch? What happens if Orchard touches it?

yeah and besides that, wont the suction cups keep it from touching the acrylic side of the tank?? im asking for myself too! getting the new tank with everything sunday so i need the info! :)

I just read some of those threads at the betta forum, and came away with some good information. I think I might need a heater for my 3 gallon Eclipse tank to keep the temperature consistent. That could be contributing to my guy's fin rot. I am also wondering now if he is a tail biter? They seem to think it is quite common.

I use a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater on my 6 ga. Betta tank. It's a GREAT heater. It is rated for tanks 2-7 gallons, it does have a thermostat, which is surprisingly accurate, and is only 7" long. I highly recommend this heater for small aquariums.

Rick

411515[/snapback]

Available at Big Al's and Drs Foster and Smith for about $13.50

Depending upon your tank walls & the clips provided - the heater may move (I have had a problem with this in the past with a couple of the smaller heaters) you just want to be sure it doesn't touch the tank walls.

I haven't had a fish burned but some members have had gf burned (they get stuck behind the heater & can't get out). I just make sure there isn't enough room behind the heater for this to happen.

Enjoy your fish!

:D

(I like heaters in my rooms with varying temps too - I think it helps with a variety of problems)

I'm going to the store to buy a heater today! It hasn't been cold for weeks, but I'm sure it will get there eventually. Orchard's doing very well and his fins are healing very nicely, with no new tears. I don't want to spoil that for him!!

Guest AlteredByMyEgo

thanks for the heater thread~ i was excited to find those mini filters for the small containers......have been looking in stores( cant find em and the store people look at me like i dont know what i am asking for lol ) but glad to know i can order one!

Okay, so the smallest (and best quality) heater vvvv was a 25w hydor :) I forgot to buy the little sticker thermometer lol. Well, its still hot and we've got the AC cranked. Question... On the box and in the link someone posted, it recomends a filter so the heat will be equally distributed. Will a sponge filter be enough circulation? I've got one of those. Will it hold a stable cycle for a betta in a three gal? If so...I now have three tanks waiting to cycle x_X Lol..I think I can fit the sponge in between the other two tho. Also, I'm so scared that something will go wrong still! If Orchard touches the heater, he won't burn himself, right? If I suction the heater to a peice of glass and lay it in the bottom of the tank, will the risk of melting the plastic tank be reduced?

Thanks :) I'm working so hard to get Orchard healthy and KEEP him healthy, I don't want to do anything stupid.

I would think that hooking it to the glass should work well. Check & see how how it gets after you start it up - if you're that worried about the heat - try the set up in a bucket (with water in it) & see how hot it gets!

I would have a thermometer in the tank before I install the heater.

I use whisper mini's in my betta tanks & they have enough flow to handle the 7.5 - I would think you're just going to have to watch the 25 watt heater - if it were me - I think I'd have 2 thermometers in there - 1 close to the heater & 1 on the other side of the tank - that way you can see how well the heat's being distributed!

I have several 2.5 gal tanks with stable cycles so it should be possible in a 3 gal.

:D Jenn

Archived