Bettas And Ghost Shrimp?

fishermoe14

i was wondering what kind of scavenger/algea eater i could get for my tank. i think its a 2.5 gal. i got a lilly some sword and java moss in it right now. i was thinking of either getting a snail , ottos, or sum ghost shrimp.

please help me decide what to get.

any reply fine by me. :)

I was gonna go to vvvv and get a ghost shrimp and see if my betta minds it.I have a good amount of some kind of moss plant on the bottom. And it pretty much depends on the fish. If the ghost shrimp makes it i'll add some rosy reds or something when i get a bigger tank.

i was wondering what kind of scavenger/algea eater i could get for my tank. i think its a 2.5 gal. i got a lilly some sword and java moss in it right now. i was thinking of either getting a snail , ottos, or sum ghost shrimp.

please help me decide what to get.

411200[/snapback]

Thats a good question! I was wondering the same. I also have a 2.5 gal.

umm just wondering but how much were the ghost shrimp at pesmart?? wondering because my lfs wants to sell them for 1.50 a piece. i was like whoa thats too much so i got an apple snail instead. :)

Hi kissy

my goldy was about 1 1/2" I was so upset when I saw it :angry: I took the ghost shrimp out which was a tiny thing and put it in a container so I have been afraid to get them since, I did enjoy him until he pulled that on me..they are pretty cool looking, he would know when it was time to eat, he would come out of hiding.

anyways, I did lose my fish because of it, I think he got so stressed, he couldn't get away from him, he was taking my goldie I am assuming to his hiding spot..

i used to buy ghost shrimps all the time...

vvvv sold them for like .29 cents each... my lfs sold them 10 for a buck...

i used to buy dozens of them at the lfs...

my bettas had a blast attacking the poor things...

needless to say...within DAYS....all ghost shrimpies were cocktails!

i say go with the snail.

Probably the best thing to do is change the water often. If you do regular water changes (according to ammonia tests and keeping it at zero) you should never need a scavenger. Do you have a filter? Is your tank covered? If you REALLY want something, I would go with a few ghost shrimp. You must make sure there are lots of crevices and hiding places for them, and nowhere your betta can get stuck. You absolutely need fully covered tank for them, cuz they will leap to their death (like bettas). 2.5 gals isn't enough for a betta + an otto or snail, so shrimpies are probably your best bet. They don't live very long, so get some young looking ones and maybe they'll make babies for you. Remember to quarentine :)

Archived