Green Water

Guest cchdaja

Guest cchdaja

Hi everyone. I haven't been on in awhile. My problem is green water. I change the water(50%)once a week, clean the sides. I've changed the filter and cleaned the filter housing. My tank has been running fine for over a year. Any suggestions? Thanks

This was just happening to me as well. Its algae. Mostly created by too much light. I was told to only have my aquarium light on 6 hours a day. The lady at the pet store gave me this stuff called AlgaeFix. 25 drops per 10 gallons. Cleared it up in a matter of hours! The next day the water was crystal clear. I am very impressed and I highly recommend it.

Guest cchdaja

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. I don't want to change my water to much, but it looks terrible. You can get this at any pet store?

Usually green water is the result of too many nutrients and too much light. You can reduce the nutrients by upping the water changes (do two per week). Do gravel vacuums at the same time if you have gravel. Then you can reduce the amount of light. Either by taking out one of the bulbs or leaving the lights on for less time. If the tank receives any sunlight from a nearby window, you can put a sheet of paper on the side of the tank receiving the sunlight or use a blind on the window.

The other solution is to put live plants in the tank to use the nutrients. You can either use aquarium plants or put cuttings in the back of the tank (things like pothos or lucky bamboo.

Also, using a diatom or micron filter will help filter out the suspended algae, however if you don't correct the conditions causing the algae, it will return.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask questions.

Archived