New Fish (oranda) Sitting On Bottom, Help Pls.

maries

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.25

Nitrite Level? 0.25 or so - did 20% or so water change

Nitrate level? 3.0? or so

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level out of the Tap? about the same 7.6

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal rubbermaid, run for 2 days with 1 cycled filter

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Top Fin 10 gal filter

How often do you change the water and how much? changed water this morning b/c ammonia and nitrite was up

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, salt, 0.3%

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? gave fish gel food is eating fine

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing unusual on her externally

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? staying on bottom and swimming around bottom

I got my new oranda yesterday and she was swimming around a little yesterday, I did acclimate her by floating her bag in the water and added some tank water gradually after an hour or so put her in, now shes just swimming around on the bottom, did eat this morning. Tested the water this morning and noticed the ammonia was up a bit and the nitrites so I did a water change, salt is in there about 0.3%... whats wrong?

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.25

Nitrite Level? 0.25 or so - did 20% or so water change

Nitrate level? 3.0? or so

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level out of the Tap? about the same 7.6

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal rubbermaid, run for 2 days with 1 cycled filter

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Top Fin 10 gal filter

How often do you change the water and how much? changed water this morning b/c ammonia and nitrite was up

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, salt, 0.3%

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? gave fish gel food is eating fine

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing unusual on her externally

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? staying on bottom and swimming around bottom

I got my new oranda yesterday and she was swimming around a little yesterday, I did acclimate her by floating her bag in the water and added some tank water gradually after an hour or so put her in, now shes just swimming around on the bottom, did eat this morning. Tested the water this morning and noticed the ammonia was up a bit and the nitrites so I did a water change, salt is in there about 0.3%... whats wrong?

I checked for streaks but don't see any, I'll have to get a closer look since shes in a rubbermaid semi-clear, I'm going to try and herd her into a clear cup but I tried earlier and wouldn't let me =x

Since this is a new fish, could be anything.

I would watch her and see what develops. With the salt in there that will help if parasites are present.

It could be the new-ness of the environment, not to mention poor water.

Just hang in there with the water, try and keep it as close to perfect as you can and see if that helps her.

OK, thanks.. just been testing and doing bigger water changes accordingly, she seems to be a tiny bit better today, not lying flat on the bottom as much, more like swimming in one place above the bottom, a little more swimming around and got real active after I fed her. How can I tell if parasites are present? Can you see them?

Most parasites need to be viewed by microscope. Anchor worm and lice can be seen with the eye, but all others with scope.

Symptoms of parasties can be....flashing, erratic behavior swimming, spitting out food, not eating, rubbing on things, gulping air, and "yawning" just to name the most common.

She seems to be doing better but still sitting on the bottom from time to time. I don't have a microscope, is there any treatment I can give her besides the salt for prevention of parasites or anything?

I would start with the salt as well as making sure the water stays perfect.

SBD comes in many forms from floating on top to upside down. Usually a fish doesn't stay on the bottom from SBD, but anything is possible with these fish I have found out.

Maybe give us a recap with the params of the tank and we'll see where we are.

Water params are pretty much the same, ammonia slightly up about 0.25- 0.50, been doing daily water changes.. think I need more filtration..

Anyways after reading and analyzing, she might have some kind of parasite, occasionally darts across tank, looks like she's shaking fins a bit... those are the obvious symptoms I've seen...so I've read Parasite Clear is OK to use which I do know we have at the pet stores, should I go ahead and use that? I do have the tank salted to 0.3%.

That sounds good. You can use Parasite Clear with the salt.

You will want to run the parasite clear the full treatment, but the salt you will want to continue that 30 days.

I also think it would be beneficial to get that ammonia down. What are the nitrites and nitrates? Remember perfect water is going to help you or make this alot harder on you and the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 5

still salted @ 0.3%

Punkin's been doing a lot better for the past couple weeks, swimming around acting normally now.. once i got the ammonia down to 0 and stayed that way. I'm having a hard time to tell if there is parasites, I know I mentioned the Parasite Clear before, is it OK to use as a ''just in case'' prevention? I just want to make sure before she is done with QT before I put her into the other tank.

I also don't have any Medigold or such antibacterial foods because I don't have a credit card to get it online. Is there any kind of food I can get in the pet store? I also read it was good to feed them that for a couple weeks in QT to rule out any bacterial issues.. thanks.

Glad to see the water quality helped her.

You can look for Jungle labs medicated food. That is ok.

As for the parastie clear, I am doing that myself for a qt fish. He came with anchorworms, and I have gotten rid of those. Haven't really seen any other symptom but where there is one there is usually another so I am going to treat him with PC as a prevention.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I am going to move your thread to the regular section since there is improvement.

I have a couple of suggestions in regards for you Marie.

Not all places need a credit card, you can order medicated food by obtaining catalogs from some of the online outfits like Dr's Foster & Smith... Other places allow for order forms to be printed out and mailed in with the payment.

Also in regards to ammonia, I didn't see what kind of ammonia binder you are useing and have you taken a tap (source) reading. Most water company's use chlorine or chloranine to treat the water with so testing tap is alway's a good think to know for a baseline reading. Also good to test for 'trites and the 'trates as sometimes they are present also.

Filtration should run around 10 x's the tank size also if that helps! :D

I just use Prime dechlorinator and my tap water last time I tested about a couple weeks ago (?) was about 0.25 for ammonia. I'll test the tap for the nitrites and nitrates.

Thanks for the suggestions for catalogs :)

Do I just go ahead and follow the directions on the back of the box? I will remove the carbon from the filters.

Thank you for your help so far, guys.

OK, so I added the 1st dose last night, tested the water this morning, was fine.. when do I add the 2nd dose? 48 hours from yesterday? and how many doses are usually used for a preventative caution?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I did 4 doses of PC total, all pretty much 2 days in b/w with water changes. I read that on fantail's thread to treat for an unknown parasite.

I've been feeding Punkin, Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial food, which will be 2 weeks on Friday. Then she will be done with qt, it has been a month or over and should be ready to go into the other tank... but I am still paranoid I guess... should she be ready to go in? She seems to be acting normally now... how can I know for sure she doesn't have anything?

Glad to hear she is getting better. What I would do is what a full week past seeing anything. Since it has been a couple weeks one more shouldn't hurt. Then put her back in.

Keep us updated.

Archived