Help - Swim Bladder Issues...

Drgong

My prized red cap is sick, and is floating upside down with swim bladder problems!

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

under 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

<6.0 (have to use PH booster)

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

29 gallion - over six months

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

Wisper 300 (I think...)

How often do you change the water and how much?

5 gals/week

How many fish in the tank and their size?

Red cap - 5 inches black moors 2 inches and inch)

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

have Proper PH and declorninor - lightly salted

Any medications added to the tank?

see below

Add any new fish to the tank?

no

What do you feed your fish?

Flakes and sinking pellets 4 times week, treat 1 time a week

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

Swimming upside down, classic swimbladder issues...

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Moor nibbled tail, see below

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Last nigh I noticed that Alicia Witt II (formally Debbie) was not her active self, so I check up this morning, and she was floating upside down in the tank...had to go to work so I took a earily lunch and put her in my QT/medical tank (and thus Angel eyes is now in the 29 gallon) and now I am slowly adding more salt and have a light dose of Medafix<sp> to treat the tail that got nibbled by the moors. She has the classic upside down swimbladder issues and I was wondering what i can do. I have her in a fesh tank and adding salt to .3% over time. What can I do? :(

Drgong, I am sorry that your darling isn't feeling well... :(

I would definetely try and not feeding her for 2-3 days, and see if that uprights her somewhat. I am not sure if I got your feeding regimen straight - you feed your fish 4 x a week? Not every day?

There is something in my head if its really not every day, but lets clarify that first.... :)

Well then, one day fasting out of a week is okay. I was thinking, that if the fish doesn't get food every day, and then you feed him pellets, that his digestive tract can act up sensitively to unsoaked pellets. But one fasting day is fine.

Give him a few days with no food, with just peas for a day or so afterwards, and see if that brings some improvement. :)

not that i know- but my fish's floaty problems have got a lot better since i switched to progold every other day and gf connection spirulina flakes- a third day worked in with peas always seems best as well. I hope your fish gets better very soon!

Oh no, I am so sorry, Drgong! :( I could only imagine that maybe his swimbladder was infected, and the infection could have spread to other organs. Without being able to figure things out when its an inside problem, I can assure you there is nothing that you could have done at this point.

Again, I am very sorry.... :hug

Archived