A Bit Floaty

Donya

I think Willy went a bit overboard eating goldfish crumbles. He quit eating the rest of his food for a couple days and only wanted the crumbles, and now he's a bit floaty at the back end. I have switched him to a peas-only diet (he is none too happy about it though), and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing?

Ammonia/nitrite: 0

Nitrate: either 0 or very low, can't tell. It's fine at any rate.

Tank Ph: 7.8

Out of tap: 7.0

Several months running, somewhere around 20 gallons (it's a tub...raised the waterline from 18 gallons so it's more now)

Filters: biological only. Sponges, UGF, etc...some plants. Filtration is going strong.

Water changes weekly, 25%

Other tank mates: a few Marisas, some P. paludosa youngsters, a couple vivs, and a cory cat. A couple guppies for bug control. None are high on the bio-load.

Water addatives: just tap water conditioner to get rid of ammonia, nitrite, and chlorine from new water.

Medications: none

Food: flake food (for the guppies and snails, Willy ignores it), goldfish crumbles,m and goldfish pellets

No other health signs, all looks good except for the slightly floaty backside

Sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, Donya - has the floatiness subsided somewhat with the peas? If it hasn't, try fasting him for 2-3 days, and see if that helps.

In general, its best to soak those crumbles and pellets a couple of minutes before feeding it to the fish, that way the pellets swell up outside the fish's intestines, not inside of it. Lets face it - our fancy goldfish with their cramped up intestines are prone to digestive and swim bladder problems, and some require a lifelong diet of gel food instead of the pellets/crumbles....

Keep us posted... :thumbup

Whoa Donya hehe Willy is getting picky :D maybe u spoil him too much?

Anyway I'd do as Andrea said and keep up with the peas. If he doesn't wanna eat the peas then it's also fine, it'll empty his stomach either way ;)

good luck

In general, its best to soak those crumbles and pellets a couple of minutes before feeding it to the fish

Normally I do, and I bet that was the problem...he got a bunch of unsoaked pellets yesterday because he was being a greedy pig and sucked them out of my hand too fast (didn't have my usual fish food cup with me so I figured "I'll just soak 'em in the tank"...yeah right lol). He is looking a bit better, probably because he finally stooped to eating peas again. Oh the horror...having to eat vegies instead of fishy candy :lol: He still isn't back to 100% horizontal, but at least he's not having to swim down to keep his tail from touching the surface. I'm hoping he'll be back to normal tomarrow if he keeps improving.

maybe u spoil him too much?

Only a lot lol he is too danged cute most of the time. I'll try to make him eat a more varied diet...I got sloppy the last few days.

Veggies instead of candy - hmmm, now there goes a great concept! :rofl3 Keep an eye on him in the future, and if he has those problems quite a lot, you might switch to either more, but smaller meals a day, or more frozen foods and gel food. Some fish have to live without pellets for the rest of their lives because of floaty problems... :rolleyes:

Archived