NitrAtes - 10

ph tank - 8.0

ph faucet - 8.0

10 gallon; aquaclear 30 (150gph); 3 months running

2 orandas; 1inch bodies

Prime

change water 2x/week; 20% and 40% respectively

fed omega one pellets; gel food; blood worms; peas

You may have read my post regarding treating my own case of fin rot. Johnny has had it for about 2 months now. His tank-mate, Robby, is fine.

Methods tried: melafix; salting at .3% for almost 2 weeks; swab with betadine solution (had no iodine); 5 day treatment with maracyn.

I haven't seen any improvement; in fact it seems as if it is slowly getting worse. Other than the fin looking pretty ragged, he is acting just fine.

I am at my wits end...I am not sure what to do now.

I have read on the internet a method for treating fin rot by first swabbing with hydrogen peroxide, then applying a neosporin-like cream to the area.

1. Has anyone tried this method? If so, has it worked?

2. Anyone see this as a better method over the straight iodine swab.

Now, what I have on hand is neosporin ointment (not cream). What I do have, tho, is bactroban, which is a topical cream for skin infections; prescription strength neosporin in my opinion.

1. Does anyone have any thoughts on using the bactroban vs the neosporin?

Or, should I perform another 5 day treatment of the maracyn?

I would also like to ask this: is being overstocked causing a problem here? Even w/the great water parameters, and keeping that tank cleaner than my bathroom, I am wondering if it's causing a prob?

And finally, if anyone can offer any of their suggestions...I would appreciate it. It seems I have tried everything; I can't figure it out. I am now at your mercy, folks. Please help! THANKS!

Laura sorry to hear you are fighting hard to resolve this. Hopefully we can get a grip on it. For you and for the fish.

Now I see you have tried alot of treatments. I have a couple questions, when was the last treatment and of which med?

How long did you wait between treatments?

Also how many times did you use the betadine?

To answer your question on "could it be overstocking" your water is good, however you shouldn't rule it out.

Since you are changing water twice a week, I assume you have to because it gets bad? Could be something to it. But it could also be something else hard to say.

Some thoughts I have, could the other fish be picking at the fins?

Could have "over done" some treatments.

Have you just left it alone and just watched it?

Post back soon.

Now I see you have tried alot of treatments.  I have a couple questions, when was the last treatment and of which med? Last treatment was with Maracyn, and the 5th day was this past Monday.

How long did you wait between treatments?  I used Melafix for about 10 days.  About a week later I salted for 10 days.  I believe after the .3% salt treatment I waited almost 2 weeks b/4 I did the betadine.  About a week later I started Maracyn. 

Also how many times did you use the betadine?  Just once.  And it was a crappy attempt at that.  I wasn't too confident of my abilities; I was mostly fearful of suffocating the fish keeping him out of the water.  So it wasn't a really great attempt.

To answer your question on "could it be overstocking" your water is good, however you shouldn't rule it out. 

Since you are changing water twice a week, I assume you have to because it gets bad?  It doesn't get bad, parameter-wise.  I thought since I was breaking the 'rule', I would try to do everything I could to keep the tank in pristine condition until I could get a bigger tank.  The params are never out of check; the nitrAte never goes above 10.  And actually, right now it has been 7 days since I changed the water b/c I was treating w/the Maracyn, and all the params are still excellent.  So I guess you could say I am just trying to cover all the corners by changing the water 2x/week.  Hey - beleive me, I don't have to do it 2x/week.  With two kids I have enough to do!  :D Could be something to it.  But it could also be something else hard to say.

Some thoughts I have, could the other fish be picking at the fins?  You know, I thought of that, but I cannot honestly answer; deep down I don't think so.  They are quite the friendly little buggers; always playing follow the leader and sleeping together.  The tank is in my son's bedroom, so I am not able to watch it all the time.  The only thing I notice is a bit of rough-housing when it's feeding time.  But nothing that alarms me in any way.

Could have "over done" some treatments.  Possible.

Have you just left it alone and just watched it?  I guess during those 'weeks' b/n treatments I would have expected to see some sort of improvment; but it was never the case.  So I quickly jumped on another treatment protocol. 

I was planning on cleaning the tank/changing the water tonight (40%).  I could just let it sit for a while....but I guess the question is how long?  I would say that the fins aren't in a feather-like condition.  Just very ragged. 

Post back soon.

410547[/snapback]

Laurie, thanks for your input; it means a lot.

You are welcome. Well from your answers nothing strikes me as to a cause or not enough, so where to go from here???

Is it possible to post a picture?

I would try and watch them for a few days, do nothing and see. It could be that you are not seeing a "nibbleing" behavior.

Is the fish acting fine otherwise? If so maybe just see if you can pin point it.

Is there any sharp objects in the tank?

Fins are very fine and can split at the smallest things. This is the only thing I can think of now.

Fish is acting fine - as if nothing is wrong. Nothing sharp in the tank...two small ornaments which have some brown algae on it.

I am attaching two pics I took this morning. I hope you all can see the ragged-ness of his tail fin. I have definitely seen worse cases of fin rot...but I just want to prevent mine from getting any worse...and it seems as if it is.

I apologize if the pics aren't of great quality; this guy is a mover and it's so hard to get a good pic...I had to feed him just so he would stay still!

johnnyfin.jpg

This second pic...you may be able to see it on the right if you look closely; the left isn't very smooth, either.

johnnyfin2.jpg

To be honest I am not seeing anything I would be concerned about. It looks like normal fins from the picture. It could be just the way his fins are.

Rot looks more like "fringe" on a leather jacket if you get the comparison. So I would be inclined to just watch him and keep the water perfect and see what time brings.

His fins have indeed gotten ragged since I have purchased him. I am not sure if it was something that I brought him home with, though. I have also noticed he has a small hole developing in the left rear tail fin....I guess when I compare Johnny to his buddy Robby, Johnny's tail fins look pretty bad.

Are you saying that it is normal for the fins to be ragged; looking like "z's"? Robby's tail fins are so smooth......Wouldn't the "z's" then proceed to look like fringe on the leather jacket? Or does the fringe look just occur all of a sudden? I guess I am curious as to how the disease progresses.

Hi Laura,you've got one beautiful fish there :D Like Laurie said,I don't think there is something you should be worried about.I don't think he has finrot at all.I have a fish that has similar fins and is actually doing good.Maybe it's just a different kind of fin?! :blink: As long as he's active and not sluggish,I'm sure there's nothing to worry about :D

CU - thanks for the compliment!

But what about the noticable deterioration? I mean....it wasn't always like that. I have no problem letting Father Time work this out....I just don't want the little guy to have to go thru something unnecessary in the long run.

Maybe his fins are starting to grow? :unsure: With finrot,you'll know because they will be really tattered and will be white on the edges.

I've attached a pic of my fry Simon that had very bad finrot so you can see and compare.

115-1523_AUT.jpg

Oh yes, I can see the difference. I remember that.....poor little guy!

But, what I'm wondering is: did Simon's fins once look like my Johnny's before Simon's deteriorated to the state in the picture?

I totally believe all that you are telling me...you guys are the experts! I just want to be prepared and try to prevent it from getting worse. The small needle-size hole that developed this week worries me.....

haha...believe me...I'm far from being an expert :D

Actually Simon's fin started to get whitish edges at first and then wham!all tattered :( I salted for almost a month with no avail.Two days after I did the iodine swab,all the whitish edges has disappeared and within a week,his fins started healing :) It was like a miracle!

I know that you must be worried but I think all you can do for now is keep his water pristine and watch and wait.You wouldn't want to stress him with all the treatments and salting.Just my opinion though :D

Coyote that is a tattered looking little guy, glad to hear he got better. Thanks for posting the pic, I was trying to think how to describe it to better help understand. :D

Laura, my fish have had torn fins and occasional "holes" start but within a few days to a week all clears up. I just keep the water pristine and sometimes add a little salt.

I think it is great you are trying to get ahead of something that may happen, but I don't believe in treating unless you know "exactly" what you are treating. If it were me I would watch and as long as he is ok, and his tail doesn't look like Coyote's little guy I would say all is ok.

Coyote that is a tattered looking little guy, glad to hear he got better.

Thanks Laurie :) His fins are almost 100% back to normal! :rolleyes:

Good Luck Laura!Keep us posted on how he is :D

Archived