My Lionhead

glitterfish

What a beautiful fish :heart

You can salt your tank by putting in 1 tablespoon of salt per every 5 gallons of water. Make sure you use aquarium salt, and NOT table salt. The anticaking agents will harm your fish. Salt does not filter out or evaporate. When you do a water change only add enough salt to cover the amount of water you replaced. Yes, you can use salt with all your goldfish in the tank.

Thanks Queenie! I will get salt next time Im at the pet store. How much do I put in for a 7 gallon tank? Im guessing about 1 1/2 tablespoons? How long do I have to keep adding salt at water changes? I mean, it can eventually be back to regular water right?

Sorry for all the questions!!! :huh:

You can also use the 1 teaspoon per gallon rule of thumb. It's easier to figure out how much to use for a tank that's not a multiple of 5. ;)

But as it turns out 7 tsp is approximately 1 1/2 tbsp so either would be fine for you!

Hi Erin~

Welcome!! I am sure you will love it here and become addicated as well all have.... :krazy:

I am not seeing where the fin rot is though? I woulden't treat until you get some expert advice from someone. Toothless is awesome with those things...

Can't wait too see the pics of the new tank!! Your fish are gonna love it!!!

:heart

How long do I have to keep adding salt at water changes? I mean, it can eventually be back to regular water right?

Yes, you can go back to regular water. Whenever you want to. Just don't add salt to the replacement water when you do your changes and it will eventually be diluted out. But, you can keep salt in the tank if you want to. Some people leave salt in all the time and others do not. Just remember though, if your going to keep salt in the tank, only salt the amount of replacement water and not the entire tank or you will end up with too much. Salt does not filter out.

Your new tank sounds awesome!

Archived