My Bubble-eye Died Last Night :'-(

Guest DragonFreek109

Guest DragonFreek109

:cry1

I didn't have him long but it was still upsetting for me. After owning a bubble-eye, i have realised it is cruel to breed goldfish with things that disable them. Fantails are ok because they don't have any trouble swimming but goldfish like bubble-eyes and fish with other deformities are cruel. They can't swim or eat properly and are more prone to diesease. I will never have one again.

Sorry to everyone who has a bubble-eye in their posession.

So sorry about your fish... :(

I kind of feel the same way about bubble eyes, that and they just creep me out, not as bad as celestials though, those things make me shudder

Many of these breeds of fish are natural mutations that breeders inbreed to bring out certain aspects that they want to emphasise. That's unfortunate, but not limited to fish.

Cats and dogs and I'm sure others are too. I have a Devonshire Rex that I rescued when I found a breeder that was putting the kittens that didnt meet her "standards" to sleep. I've since rescued 5 of them. Devons are amazing cats with VERY little fur, that are a natural mutation. If you breed any other cat to one, you get a normal cat. You then have to breed a "normal" kitten back to the mother to get more devons of a certain color/hair quality. Unfortunately, you're also breeding some of the problems back to the Devon such as hip displasia and heart murmurs.

Same with the "Munchkin" cats, they are born with disproportinatly short legs. Munchkins owe their short legs to a naturally-occurring genetic mutation, and not from human manipulation, however to keep that mutation going, they've essentally inbred them to "create" the breed. As a result, you've got cats that cant jump, and are clumsy. They're cute and loveable, but............

However, as long as there are reputable people breeding and loving the different breeds, whether they're fish or cats, hearty ones CAN be found. But they DO take special care. Personally, I will never have another home WITHOUT a Devon! :) But I dont just buy one without knowing who i'm getting it from and its history - unless its a rescue.

I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure that it is very upsetting. Poor fishy. :cry1:hug

I used to think that the bubbleeyes and celestials were really weird, but after having mine around for a few years, I have found that they have really grown on me.

All the "fancy" goldfish - and for that matter, the fantails and comets - are a product of human manipulation. There are lines of fish that are far more hearty and well bred than others, and, within those generations of "well-bred" fish, you can always find many that are just not as strong as others.

When goldfish are bred, there are literally hundreds that do not meet the requirements of the breed. Goldfish genetics is a particularly complicated thing - there are sooooo many "fatal" gene sets, as well as partial representation of such combinations - resulting in fish that are small, weak, have poor immune systems, do not process food well, have fins that are not quite right for swimming, have eyes that do not focus as well, have guts that are too short or too long to properly digest food without gas problems, etc. The list goes on and on. All these fish may end up in my tank or your tank, and will have problems or live a short, sad life. It is simply the way they were put together - the luck of the genetic draw in life. They may have sisters or brothers that are spectacular, huge, strong, show winners. But they are, sadly, not.

And, yes, even the very best bubbleeye goldfish require a different set of living parameters than, say a comet or fantail. But this does not make them "weaker" fish. A dandylion plant and an orchid can both be very strong, robust plants, but the dandylion has a much wider range of envrionments in which it can thrive. The orchid simply has a narrower set of requirements. Such are the requirements of the bubbleeye, celestial and such.

You certainly do not ever have to have a bubble eye or celestial goldfish again, if that is your wish. But, I hope that your bad experience does not continue to cause you distress and sadness whenever you see such a fish. They may be strange, but can be beautiful, loving, strong fish that are very worthy of consideration in the goldfish world.

:):hug

oooh I am very sorry! I have had to talk my husband out of getting bubble eyes for a while now. He really wants one...and so do it....but I just dont have the set up for them at the moment. Hubby said oh we can just put them in with the other fish!! Ha. One...no more room. Two...they basically need a padded "cell" of an aquarium to survive so that their bubbles are safe.

I am very sorry to hear you lost your fish....but I hope it doesnt discourage you from fishkeeping. Do you have other fish right now? If not maybe you could try an oranda or a fantail. They are not as delicate. Or even a common! I LOVE my commons and comets. They just get so big and graceful.

Does anyone else NOT have problems with bubble eyes? My two are going strong and I have them in a regular aquarium, not a "padded cell"... Interesting to hear from others that have had or do have them!!

I have had 2 bubble eyes and have not had luck with them either. I do think they are majorly impaired for the most part.

I hope someone has had good luck with a bubble eye. :)

Guest William17
Does anyone else NOT have problems with bubble eyes? My two are going strong and I have them in a regular aquarium, not a "padded cell"... Interesting to hear from others that have had or do have them!!

411048[/snapback]

I've got no problems with my Bubble eye. as a matter of fact he seems to be the leader of the tank (thus why he is called The Gaffer). I've only had him about 3 weeks but he's goin strong and i've not had any problems with him.

and Dragonfreek sorry to hear about your loss.

411048[/snapback]

I've got no problems with my Bubble eye. as a matter of fact he seems to be the leader of the tank (thus why he is called The Gaffer). I've only had him about 3 weeks but he's goin strong and i've not had any problems with him.

411075[/snapback]

Thanks William for your response. Any way that you can take a pic of your bubble eye? I love seeing different ones! :heart

So sorry to hear about your bubble eye, Dragonfreek.

I, too, have found bubble eyes to be my hardiest goldfish. Casey is a big bruiser and lives in my planted 66 gallon tank. Other than having covers over the filter intakes, I haven't done anything special to that tank. I also have three young bubble eyes that I bought a few months ago. I love bubble eyes :heart

Guest William17
Thanks William for your response. Any way that you can take a pic of your bubble eye? I love seeing different ones!  :heart

411082[/snapback]

i was gonna take a photo just a few mins ago. but it wouldn't come out so good as the tank he's in has whitespot.

however here's a piccy i took a while ago of him and his tank mates:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Espio17/TheGang.jpg

I, too, have found bubble eyes to be my hardiest goldfish.  Casey is a big bruiser and lives in my planted 66 gallon tank.  Other than having covers over the filter intakes, I haven't done anything special to that tank.  I also have three young bubble eyes that I bought a few months ago.  I love bubble eyes  :heart

411088[/snapback]

Yay! I knew bubble eyes were strong!! Do you happen to have a photo of Casey?

Sorry to hear about your fishy, Losing a finned freind is always tough!! :cry

MAMA DARYL~ Has made some excellent points......A lot of members on here have bubble eyes and have no problems with them, I had moors before and they were always happy as a lark.

I admit bubble eyes used to freak me out, but the look has grown on me now that I see so many of them around here. They are cuties... :heart

Keep your head up things will get better soon... :bighug

DARYL~ Sorry I just love calling you mama Daryl....Dunno why? It's just your insight and knowledge that draws me in!! :)

Hi DragonFreek - I am so sorry to hear about your fish! :heart

I had a recent loss too, a very new fish - adn I can honestly say that I do not know which is worse, to lose a new fish or a fish who has been a friend for a while... I do find that losing a new fish made me feel more like quitting the hobby than losing a friend whose company I had for a while. I felt so sad about not gettin to know the new guy and seeing how happy he could be with me. Please do not let it scare you too much, although I feel your pain - in the end, all losses are heartbreaking! I wish you all the very best! :heart

Archived