How Do You Lower Ph?

Junasai777

I had a low pH until 2 days ago, but when I switched to tap water (I was using filtered water till then), that problem was solved and it went up, but now it's too high!! The pH is 8.0 right now, and the total alkalinity is at 240 (which is a little high, too, right?). What should I do? Should I use the stuff they sell at the LFS to lower pH, or should I try something else first? Thanks for your help.

Jun

P.S. My tank is doing its first cycle right now.

Guest Chishower

8.0 is within the range of safe ph, it is more important that the pH be stable. So as long as it stays 8.0, there is no need to lower it.

If your PH is stable at 8.0 the best thing for you to do is NOTHING... LEAVE IT ALONE. Goldfish do fine in water with a PH as high as 8.5.

Lowering PH is more difficult than raising it. If you try using PH Down or some other chemicals to lower your PH the resulting lower PH is only going to be temporary, then your PH will raise back up to it's natural level. This PH roller coaster will cause more stress on your fish than letting them live in stable 8.0 PH water.

The key to keeping your fish fat and happy is plenty of good clean water that has stable water chemistry.

If you do decide to try and mess with your water chemistry, the best way to lower PH, KH, and GH is mix your tap water with either distilled or RODI water.

Rick

I see. Thank you both for your very informative and helpful posts. I won't do anything then, except do water changes when needed. I didn't know that 8.0 was ok for the goldfish. And now I see why people don't recommend to use the neutralizers and stuff. If it's only temporary and it changes back, then it's not good for the fish. Thanks!

Jun

Archived