I Did It!

x-Lucy-Fish-x

you may remember my thread where i was very confuzed about wether to get another goldie and upgrade asap, well it was a spur of the week thing and iv upgraded to a 20 gal already... just need the fish now!

but i am a little worried about the stand, it was built for a 10g and all iv done is put a but of wood ontop to hold the overhanging ends of the tank, but the only wood we had was chip board. its quite thick and feels pretty solid, but mum is just saying "oh i wouldnt be supprised if that gives way"... i seem to be going and checking every ten minutes to make sure my room isnt filling with water!

the overhang is about 2-3 inches each side :unsure:

:angry: after i came offline a couple of hours ago (after writing this) i went up to put Emsley and Kermit in the 20 gal and the filter had broken.. so i went straight back to the pet shop and asked for a refund (as i didnt want a replacement, didnt wanna trust that make now) but they tried it and the flippin thing decided to work for them so they wouldnt refund, they would only replace so iv come home with a new filter the same which i am very wary about :unsure: well it works so far..

but they were very helpfull and not at all rude so i wasnt prepared to be rude to them and demand the refund me, so.. heh :idont watcha gona do..

anyway.. Emsley is sooo chuffed to have the 20g all to himself, except for ADF (temp home), him being only an inch long... bless him! he will have a friend soon! :)

oh yea and i will get pics up when i find the extra 2 batteries for the digi cam, lol :D

:D Congrates on the new tank. Mine grew fast when they went form a 10g to a 20

they seem so much more healther and happier and the water is in so much better condition. How exiting being able to choose a new fishy.

Woo hoo Lucy - that's fabulous. And don't worry about the filter... you can always add to it somewhere down the track (when you can). What kind of filter is it?

And I can't wait to see some pics :D

im still lookin for those dang batteries! they r rechargable so i cant mix em! lol

does anyone have any opinions on the stand issue?

Jen, hang on...*goes to look for pic of filter* :)http://www.pennplax.com/Pages/Aqua.pages..../Aqua20F.html

its the second one along in that pic... Penn-plax cascade 400 internal filter, its cheaper on the site than what i paid :(

congrats! You may look into a 20 gallon stand.. for one the ten stand is only designed for prolly 120 lbs of weight, and the 20 tank with gravel and all prolly weighs around 220.

second, if the wood warps, you risk breaking the bottom out.. which is how my dea Fred, my common of 12 years died :( (bottom broke out of my 55 when the foundation shifted :( )

me and my dad build the stand a couple months ago...

look.. :) .... http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=34204

so iv no idea how much it can take but it is very strong.. it the edges of the chipboard im worried about, im at college now so il take some pics when i het home, might explain it better :D

ok plurleeeeeeeeeeeeez can someone give me some opinion.. mums just scared the bergeeezers outta me!!! she said that my tank looks like it can go through the floor any day now! :crp she said its a lot of weight on a small area on the floor and it might not be over a joist thingy and the floor is chipboard so if the tank leaks the floor with just disintergrate and there will be a hole!!!! omg im not gonna be able to sleep... pleeeez reasure me.. or scare me into doing something about it!!! help!

I don't think 20 gallons is too much to worry about unless its on the second floor, in the middle of the room of an unstable floor. I'got a 29 gallon in a corner of my upstairs bedroom, and I'm going to add a ten gallon inside the stand as well, but my house is made pretty well I think. I wouldn't worry :)

I agree Lucy - I don't think it's that weighty although if you can, try and get a piece of solid plank to put across the base. If water gets on chipboard, it can make it swell but it should hold for a while. As long as it's solid and strong then there should be no problem whatsoever :D

Congrats on the upgrade! :) thats fantastic :)

as for the weight I have no idea, but if it is sagging try to maybe get some bricks or anything to prop up under it to suport it further till you can work it out.

Need pics!!!!! hehe cant wait to see them :)

this is a pic of the whole thing... i stuck my foot up to help with proportions not sure if its any help :rolleyes:

festivaloffishkeepingshow046.jpg

its more to show the stand and stuff rather than the tank.. which hasnt been decorated etc. yet anyway!

Archived