Sign in to follow this  
magickzzl

Who Here Has Shipped Fish?

I wanna know from people who have done it, where are the best places to get info on shipping fish. and what are the best things to ship them with? :)

I have never had fish shipped to me (I really don't think it is the best thing to do B) ) but I know many people have done it. They will be able to tell you the pros and cons. :)

I have never shipped a fish myself. I have always driven them myself or had them driven and hand delivered by a trusted friend. But I have received a number by mail.

They always come packed in the extra heavy duty plastic bags - the first bag is closed with a special extremely tight rubber ring, turned upside down and placed in the second bag which is also sealed with the ring. The water is usually about 5 gallons for the fish ( approximately 5-6 inches). It has been treated with a blue shipping aid - consisting of an ammonia binder as well as a de-stressor - something akin to AmQuel/Prime. The fish is usually fasted for 3 days before shipping (they will do this if asked - I usually ask for 3 days myself).

The fish is then packed in a strong box with styrofoam packing - sheets of 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick styrofoam (depending on shipper) that covers all 6 surfaces of the box internally. The box is sealed, marked as "Live Fish" in a bright orange label and marked as one side up. It is then sent as OVernight guaranteed delivery with insurance and requirement for signature at the delivery point. I have had a few sent to a local airport - where I am required to pick them up - I usually arrive before the flight gets in so I can ask after them before hand - and get a little speedier service (perhaps). (Cookie bribes help).

I will not attempt to ship a fish in the dead heat of summer (they do ship with cold packs - but I do not feel comfortable with it), nor will I do it mid-winter. I would not want to do it around a holiday - when the volume of shipped material doubles -for fear that it could get lost in the shuffle.

That said, I have never had a fish arrive in anything but good condition. But shipping is expensive and full of stress and worry for you and the fish. It requires much thought and care. It is not cheap - about $50. per box or more depending on the size of the box/fish. A larger fish requires more water - more weight.

I would not hesitate to order a fish from some of the professionals who have been shipping for years - they do it well. (with the above timing/weather reservations). Having it shipped by someone who has not done it is very questionable.....

:)

Well put Daryl. :)

I dunno if I could ever have a fish shipped to me however. I would be worried sick the whole time. :krazy:

Yes, I think I would be worried about the fish a lot as well.

Great to hear how they do it, Carol. :)

I shipped Spud to Toothless, and he did really well. One important thing though, is when you pack him in the bag with the bag buddy (water treater) DO NOT make the bag super tight. It should be slightly mushy on the bottom. That way when the box goes up in the airplane, the bag doesn't burst from pressure. Here's a link to the topic that I started, and there's a lot of really good info in there, along with some info from one of the pros (don't remember if it was Doc Johnson or who).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=28959

Magickzzl, Do not feel bad at all if this deal ends up undoable. I am afraid that the great distance between you and myself may make this exchange very hard to accomplish. :( I would :heart so much to adopt your little friend. Him coming from you would make him all the more special. But there are soooooooooo many miles between us. :crp (We WOULD have to be on complete opposite sides of this great country!!) :(

Luck is on our side though, our little lion is only 2", so he wouldnt require the 5 gallons of water.....

How big was Spud when you sent him out? and how much did shipping cost in the end?

Great articles! :D Thanks all!

Well, I have never arranges the shipping but I have recieved fish by mail - even though I recently lost one that was shipped to me, due in great part to the stress of shipping - I can still say that I think it is worth it if there is no other wayt o re-home you fish. Just try to get the shortest shipping time possible, set the fish up well, and make sure it will be in the best possible environment when recieved. Several people here have moved long distances and I hope they will see this thread and write in to tell you their best advice form experience. There are many good breeders out there who ship regularly. Maybe if you called one of them, Rick Hess comes to mind, one of them would be so kind as to give you advice.

Best wishes with it! :heart

i too have never shipped fish but i have receieved bettas by mail before. they all made it safe and healthy. they were in a cardboard box and then in a styrofoam box. then double bagged seperately with heat packs in the box as well.

I have recieved snails in the mail (i like to call this "snail mail" LOL) but have never sent any nor have I sent or recieved fish!

How big was Spud when you sent him out? and how much did shipping cost in the end?

He was about 2 inches... Paul and I wanted to wait till he was that big. Shipping I *think* was about 45 from Illinois to Florida overnight.

:krazy: Will the little Lionhead ever come to the home of the Atlanta Falcons & Atlanta Braves? :krazy: Distance is our enemy!

:) hold your horses! I wanna do this thing right!

:lol1 Leave my horses outta this :rofl

Jus' kiddin' :)

Maybe we can start a fish shipping donation fund...............or a telethon!

Edited by Jeana727

Ok, asked my UPS guy what he though the price of shipping a 10 lbs box, red label, over night, and be to you at 10:30, he said about $50.

His fins got alittle torn up, i dont know who was munching, so I have moved him in with my bubble eye and celestial for now. ggrrr.... Mo is supposed to be the nice guy!

I found a little info, maybe we can do this completely safely AND a little cheaper. I think the weight can be cut back considerably. See what you think!

http://fishenthusiast.com/shippingfish.html

http://members.aol.com/WnyZman/shipping.html

Edited by Jeana727

I don't think it'll weigh 10lbs......I ship at my job & it'd be hard to get a little fish that heavy in the package. From what I have read you don't want much water and the styrofoam box isn't too heavy. I bet it'll be 3 or 6 lbs.

Jus' tryin' to help. :huh:

eh, i was over guessing.. I'll prolly send him with less them a gallon of water, but ya never know!

:lol1 My horses are gettin' all fidgetity again :rofl