Cory Food

Kissy

I'm going to get 3 peppered or bronze cories, and I'm wondering what kind of things will make up a healthy diet. I currently have Wardly's algea disks, tetra tropical fish flakes, and I'm starting a dandylion garden. What other things can I feed them? Goldfish pellets are out of the question. They are sharing a tank with a school of black neons. One of my neons is such a pig and will eat anything, whether it should fit in her mouth or not. I dropped a tiny crumb of the algea disk into their tank to see what they would do. I was expecting them to peck at it, but she gulped the whole thing down and had a bad tummy ache for the rest of the day. Is feeding the algea chips going to be a problem if I drop them in whole?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feed mine sinking goldfish pellets, hikari algea and catfish wafers (the catfish wafers are better for cories, more meat), shrimp pellets (the other fish will enjoy those to!) and assorted frozen bits. :D Sardines faves are bloodworms, she gulps them whole!

Oo shrimp pellets! What's a good brand? I can't have anything that needs to be refrigerated..fish stuff needs to stay upstairs (and away from my families food lol).

Are cories nocturnal? Maybe I could drop some food in and turn out the lights if they are.

My two cories ( one spotted and one emerald) are out all the time, looking for food. They get the frozen stuff (Prime Reef, Blood worms, and Brine Shrimp) because they are in with my son's Black Ghost Knife fish. They just go crazy when it's time to eat.

I'm glad this topic is here! I am going to get 3 Albino Cories someday and didn't know what else to feed them. The catfish wafers were $9 for a small bag so I was hoping for another type to blend in with their diet so the wafers will last longer. LoL

What are shrimp pellets and what's an estimate of their cost? Tropical flakes are okay for them as well?

i have been feeding the wardleys shrimp pellets.. but not as a main diet... actually they seem to be doing well with alot of the tetra exotic (what im feeding my goldies) pellets in their diet.. makes those catfish wafers last longer (they are exspensive, but so worth it for a fish that is gunna live like 20 years!)

I'll see if I have any money leftover to buy some catfish wafers later :) I really want my cories to live a long healthy life, but I don't have a steady income or much of an income at all :P

I feed my cories a mix of things, but they do especially love the shrimp pellets (Wardley's). They are not expensive. They also like veggies such as zucchini, however, if you don't have snails in the tank, you will have to fish the leftovers out. There are also micro sinking pellets available from a variety of manufacturers that are good. They will also eat any flakes that make it to the bottom of the tank, so if you soak the flakes a bit (or hold them under water in your fingers so that they sink), they cories will get those.

I give mine a varied diet of all kinds of fish food (they even get the odd soaked ProGold pellet), and they have done great :)

Attached is a picture of one of my cories :)

post-582-1129299313_thumb.jpg

i was wondering if you can feed them the food you buy for adf. I have lots leftover, my frogs did not like it. They only like bloodworms. I would think that it is a shrimp or some kind of protein mix. It is moist pellets. I am planning to get cories to go with my angelfish once tank is cycled, which will be awhile, but planning out tank mates and decorations.

Thanks for the info! I'll just have to buy something new every know and then for them rather than the same thing over and over then :) Ooh, and zuccini (I hate spelling that LoL), we always end up with far more than we can use. We grow in in our garden every year and end up a very large amount. LoL Would the other tropicals pick at it as well?

Yah, I didn't realize that cories were more of meat eaters until I started researching their diet. I'm not allowed to keep anything live or anything that needs to stay in the fridge or freezer, so I will probably try a mix of catfish wafers and shrimp pellets, along with tropical flakes and some veggies. What is a good ratio of these foods?Also, which is better, zuccini or cucumber?

If I can find some earthworms in my backyard, do I just rinse and chop? I think I'd have to do some digging..we don't get very many, but I'm sure they would make a yummy treat.

Oh and TouchOfSky, thats such a nice picture. Peppered cory, right? Cories seem to be popluar on this forum right now ;)

Yes, that is a peppered cory. That is a picture of one of the young ones that I have. I bought several last spring.

My fish all seem to prefer zucchini. I cook it in a bit of water in the microwave until it is soft, then drop it in. For the cories, I take off the skin, but for the tanks with snails or bristlenoses, I leave the skin on, since they love the skin :)

I have never tried anything like worms. I am too squeamish :yeah:

Thanks for the tips! I'll write all this down so I remember :)

Chopped earthworms are okay also? We have lots of them during spring/summer. The flowerbeds are always being worked in so there's lots of worms being found LoL. I was going to give some to my frogs, but I can't find a good knife to use that isn't used for cooking -_- LoL

Thanks again!

:) Cories are so awsome, Im glad more people are trying them!

my cories also like some betta pellets... I almost forgot about that...

I find pellets easier to feed then flakes for cories...

There is like no way a cory could get any hikari betta pellets in my community tank. The other day, I soaked one and split it in half and my more dominant tetra of the two got both before/just as they hit the water. Imagine 4 more of those beasts :P Hikari is definately a favorite, not just with bettas!

LoL! I don't know if my other fish would eat betta pellets. I have the micro pellets.. Still the same container of them I had almost 3 years ago I think now! LoL A friend bought them with a betta for my birthday one year. The micro pellets sure last a long time o.0 These are by Aqua Culture though. I don't think I've had any food by Hikari before.. It's usually the Tetra brand I end up with LoL Does Hikari cost much more?

Has anybody tried the Marine Labs Bio-Blend foods? I have a small test packet from my eclipse tank but haven't opened it yet.

20 oz of Hikari betta bio-gold is about $7. You can get them in smaller sizes too, but 20 oz is the better deal usually. Thats what I have, and its lasting me a long time!

Hmm, thanks! I'll remember that next time I'm uptown :) I have more than enough betta food for now... My new little guy just loves the pellets and I give him a little piece of freeze-dried bloodworm each night before bed and he's just so happy :) I'll remember Hikari brand though! Is it better than Tetra? My fishies always seem to spit out the flakes rather than eat them. It's like they don't like them or something! LoL

Lol!

I think its better, but not sure. I have tetra tropical flakes for my tropical tetras (yah that sounded repetitive x_X) Its hard to tell which my tetras and betta like better, since they leap out of the water for just about anything.

Archived