Black Stain On Tail Of Bubble-eye

Junasai777

est Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.25

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.2

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 29 gallons; a couple of hours (I switched them to this brand new tank a couple of hours ago, but until then, the 2 fishes were in a 10 gallon tank that had been running for 13 days)

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Top Fin 29

How often do you change the water and how much? every other day, about 40%, because of a smell like cat's urine coming from the tank (which has gone away, once I switched to this new tank). So I will not be making as many or as much water changes from now on.

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish--bubble-eye (There was a very sick red cap oranda in the same tank with him until he died a couple of minutes ago. They were together for 13 days, and the red cap became sick starting 3 days ago.)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorinator, bacteria starter, salt (about 0.1%)

Any medications added to the tank? Parasite Clear (which is being filtered away right now, since I replaced the filter after the red cap died)

Add any new fish to the tank? No, but they themselves are new fishes--13 days since I got them.

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, veggies--shelled peas, zucchini, etc. Also orange slices.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The bubble-eye has a black stain on the tip of his tail, about 4 mm in diameter. Is it just a color change?? The rest of his body is a light orange/yellow.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No. But this sick red cap that just died, was lying at the bottom 24 hours a day, gasping, and breathing quickly and hard. I really hope that whatever was affecting him, hasn't transferred to the bubble-eye.

Please let me know if this black stain is just a color change (his tail was completely yellow till before), or if it's something I should worry about. Thanks.

Jun

By any chance do you know what your ammo levels were about a week ago? I am wondering if your little one has ammo burn?? I am by far an expect, but from my experience here that could be a possibility......

I started out with a brand new 10 gallon tank 13 days ago. Of course the ammonia level was 0 at the time, but got higher as the first cycle started. It was at 0.5 yesterday, but since I switched him to this much bigger tank (29 gallons) and added a lot of new water, the level went down to 0.25 as of now. But until this morning, he was in this 0.5 ammonia water. If it is ammonia burn, should I treat it? If so, how can I do that?

Also, I got a bottle of ammonia detoxifier today but haven't used it yet. Do you think I should? I heard there are some things that are best not used (like the stuff that changes pH levels), so if I should not use that and instead, just change water frequently, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Jun

As far as I know ammonia burns will heal on their own once the fish is in good water. I always use an ammonia detoxifier, simply because it is in the de-chlorinator I use, I'm not sure how it effects a cycle though... it might be best to wait to use it and just to frequent water changes, if you get rid of the ammonia the good bio-bugs won't have much food to grow on so your tank will probably cycle slower. I'm not an expert though, just throwing my best guess out there

The black is the burn, you can tell if its healing when the black start to go away.. It might not even be an ammonia burn though...but I don't know what else it could be, I'm still learning as I go. The learning process never seems to stop actually...

Archived