Should I Use "stress Coat"?

Guest Fisherman

Guest Fisherman

:yeah::yeah:

Is Stress Coat of any use? The directions on it recommend using it when introducing new fish. They say it coats the fish with a slime coat which helps to protect the fish from bacteria. Can anyone please advise me on using it on goldfish that I will get soon.

Guest Chishower

Is that the stuff with aloe in it? I heard it can coat their gills, not sure of the validity of that though. I don't think you need to use it.

Yes I do believe that has aloe in it. You can read on the bottle and it should say. If it does contain aloe it is best to not use that as your regular water conditioner. Only use it on occasion and use something like Prime as the main conditioner.

I use stress coat as my regular water conditioner and it works perfect. As for the aloe thingy, I think it's harmless cos I never have any problems with it & my fish seems perfectly happy :D .

I think stress coat coupled with stress zyme is a great combo when doing waterchanges.

As for using it when introducing new fish it's not necessary as long as u handle the fish gently ;)

cheers

I only use it when the fish have been stressed, handled, or damaged in some way. For instance when my fish lost a lot of scales due to handling (he got something stuck in his throat!) I put some of that stuff in there to help him heal better and restore his slime coat. I would not use it regularly because I have heard that it coats the body as well as the gills, making it a little difficult to breath...but I think if you only use it once in a while there is no harm or risk in using it. I use a regular water conditioner when changing water because its cheaper anyway than using stress coat all the time.

Guest Fisherman

:yeah:

Thank you all for your replies. I'll probably try it when my goldfish arrive. This is my first attempt to raise goldfish, although I have had tropical fish for many years. I cleaned out my 75 gal tank and cycled it using the fishless method recommended at this site. Boy, it works really great. It's cheap, easy, and doesn't require stressing the fish. The tank is now ready for the fish, but I don't expect to get them right away. Going to put some siamese alge eaters and some snails in first. The cycle produced alot of nitrates and the algae is taking over. After I get every thing under control, I plan to get some orandas.

Thanks Kokos for a really great web site.

Guest Fisherman

:yeah:

Guess its too late, I ordered them already. Acording to the information at AquariumFish.net "The Siamese Algae Eaters do no annoy other fish. We recommend them." I'll find out for sure after I get them, and later, the gold fish.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi - as far as Stress-Coat is concerned, I can only give my opinion- I stopped using it when I read about the effects of aloe on gill function. That was enough for me!

What I want to point out is that stress coat should not be confused with a "proper" water conditioner. It will not neutralize the levels of ammonia, chlorine and chloramines (if present at worrisome levels) in your tap water. As long as you are clear about what stress coat will actually do for your water, then please try it, But is you have tap water issues, yo might want o see if it will be sufficient as a water conditioner.

The main reason to give stress coat is to cause the slime coat on the fish to increase production as it is the primary immune defense for the fish in his environment. If this is all you need as far as water conditioning goes, then salt would be a safer ( and more economical) alternative.

You are so fortunate and smart to be visiting here before gettin gyour GF! I was one of those who came because I had no idea what to expect! Your GF will be in great hands with you! :exactly

Totaly agree!

The Aloe Vera in stress coat after long time use may hamper gill function as it coats the gills.

But its ok to use if you handle a fish, net a fish or any action that may harm the slime coat. Personally I would not use it as a regular thing.

Maybe look into other water ages/conditoners that do not contain aloe and use them as your regular additive for water changes.

This is taken from Stress Coat's FAQ page from Aquarium Pharmaceutical's website:

Why does Stress Coat contain Aloe?

The patented Stress Coat formula contains Aloe gel, taken from the inside of the Aloe plants leaves. Stress Coat has been independently proven to promote the healing of damaged fish tissue.

Someone told me Aloe will kill fish. Is this true?

No. The Aloe gel in Stress Coat is real Aloe, not a synthetic, Aloe skin, or "derived" aloe (which has none of the properties of real Aloe). Stress Coat with Aloe is not harmful to fish.

and this one from the Tech Sheet:

The effectiveness of Stress Coat with Aloe Vera has been proven by independent studies conducted at the University of Georgia, School of Veterinary Medicine. Researchers found that Stress Coat helped heal wounds and speed tissue regrowth. Dr John Gratzek summarizes the results: "Personally, I am satisfied with the results since my initial thoughts were skeptical to say the least. These definite statements can be made without equivocation: Stress Coat in no way harms aquarium fish, alters pH, or affects the biological filter. No ammonia or nitrite was detected in the test aquariums. The results indicated that the Stress Coat formula reduced the wound size compared to untreated fish tissue." Aloe Vera is high in mucopolysaccharides, an essential component of many tissues and believed to help in the healing process. The glycoproteins Aloctin A and Aloctin B are also present and identified as the probable tissue-healers.

I've been using stress coat for 3-4 months now and highly recommend the product to anyone ;)

:bump:

just wanna let everyone read the statement above. I feel stress coat is one of the better water conditioners on the market & there's a reason for it slightly pricier then other conditioners

Archived