Dying Red Cap Oranda

Junasai777

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0.25

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.2

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 29 gallons; a couple of hours (I switched them to this brand new tank a couple of hours ago, but until then, the 2 fishes were in a 10 gallon tank that had been running for 13 days)

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Top Fin 29

How often do you change the water and how much? every other day, about 40%, because of a smell like cat's urine coming from the tank (which has gone away, once I switched to this new tank).

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fishes--a very sick red cap oranda and a very healthy bubble-eye

What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorinator, bacteria starter, salt (about 0.1%)

Any medications added to the tank? Parasite Clear

Add any new fish to the tank? No, but they themselves are new fishes--13 days since I got them.

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, veggies--shelled peas, zucchini, etc. Also orange slices.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I am a newbie, so it's very hard to tell, but it seems to me that since the red cap got sick, his fins look slightly frayed at the edges, and his scales have a bumpy look, as if some of them were missing (not protruding scales like in dropsy, but bumpy).

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Stays at the bottom 24 hours a day, barely moving, when he tries to shift position, he'll almost tip over or lean sideways, like he doesn't have the energy to stay upright. He leans against the decoration I have in there, so he won't have to struggle to stay upright. Won't eat anything at all, not even shelled peas. He started staying at the bottom 3 days ago, and has gotten worse and worse. Please help!!! I'm afraid he isn't too far from dying, and I want to do anything possible to save him!!

I'd also like to add that the bubble-eye, who is completely fine, has developed a black stain on the tip of his tail over the last few days. I don't know if it has anything to do with what might be affecting my red cap, but thought I should mention it anyway. It's about 4 mm in diameter. Both the red cap and bubble-eye are about 1 and a half inches in size.

If you know what this black stain is, I'd appreciate that information as well, although I'm much more worried about my red cap!

Jun

Hello! :)

I am sure this is all a result of the tank change and the fact that the new tank is not cycled. The ammonia is high, which is probably causing a lot of the problems here.

I would do a large water change (probably about 50%) right away, and see if the behaviour improves. Keep doing water changes everyday of about 40% to see if anything changes.

Do you have any aeration in there apart from the filter?

Why did you use parasite clear?

Is the bubble eye still eating fine and acting normal apart from the discolouration on his tail?

Jun is this the fish I have been helping you with in the other forum? If so we need to keep all the info in one spot let me know and I can merge them together.

My red cap just died. :cry1 I buried him in the backyard. He wasn't emaciated at all yet (he was eating a little till yesterday), so I was shocked that he died so soon and quickly. I guess that was better for him though, instead of suffering for days and days... I don't feel like getting a new fish right away, but the bubble-eye looks so lonely in the 29 gallon tank all by himself, I suppose I should get him a companion soon. The bubble-eye seemed really close to the red cap too...always hanging out together. I'm so sad. These were my very first goldfishes, too.

Not that I know anything, but I'm not so sure it's because of the tank change, because the "old" tank itself was only 13 days old, and also, the red cap became sick 3 days ago in the old tank. I used Parasite Clear because it was recommended to me in the thread I posted in the regular disease/discussion board (where I posted when my red cap initially became sick). They said that the fact that he was lying on the bottom and spitting out food was probably to do with parasites. That's why I also put in the salt.

The bubble-eye is still acting normal apart from the black spot on his tail.

Jun

Oh, I am so sorry that your red cap didn't make it, Jun... :(

The black spot is probably ammonia burns, since you have an ammonia reading in your tank. The black is an indication that the burn is healing, and it will fade and disappear over time, once the tank is cycled and the ammonia is zero.

I would continue the parasite clear treatment for the remainder of the duration, as well as the salt. Keep a watchful eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings daily, and do water changes to lower the ammonia. Cycling is a rough time on fish and new fish owners, and it can be a little tough to understand whats going on in the closed environment of a fish tank. We always have to picture that whatever we put into the fish tank (food), stays in there and only gets taken out either in the form of beneficial bacteria that builds up during the cycling process, or through water changes on our part. :)

So sorry to hear you lost your red cap :(

I hope your bubble eye thrives :)

And yes I agree on the amonia burns and all else.

Cycling is very hard on fish and often a stumbling block for new fish owners.

You are in good hands here at Kokos....as you cycle the tank for your bubble-eye please ask as many questions as you want.

Check out the water quality section of the forum for help on cycling so that we can help giving him the best enviroment.

Archived