How Long?

fisharenewtome

OK so Chocolate is doing better (although he HATES the QT tank - I think I'm going to have to break out the bigger tank at some point - he won't swim in it at all unless it's meal time)

I'm still not sure what he had but the combo of salt & Maracyn seem to be working well.

My question is this - how long should I keep him in QT? Is a week OK as long as he isn't showing signs of the white stuff returning or should it be more like 10 days or???

THanks!!

Nope he's been here since Christmas. (he's a chocolate oranda) He's just miserable in there (I guess I would be too if I usually lived in a waaay understocked 58 gal) so it's kind of getting to me.

BUT he's looking better from the white patchy stuff sooo... (I had another post further down about the white stuff - I'm still not sure exactly what it was & when he gets out I have another to go in who is also showing some signs of ??? so I want to treat him before it gets any worse. - they are tankmates. The other fish isn't showing signs of anything)

I was thinking 10 days so I guess 2 weeks isn't too bad (whatever he has isn't catchy as other fish have lived with him for months with no ill effects until recently. Again - I'm not sure why. Tank params have been fine - no new anything so I dunno. Looks a bit like fungus but not quite & doesn't look like any bacterial I've seen but - who knows??

I'm not sure if it's the MAracyn or salt that's working but...I'm just happy it is!

Thanks! :D

PS - I usually QT fish for 3-4 weeks when they're new

Thats a tricky one.

Id QT for min 4 weeks going by past history. Im just guessing that if you had him from Christmas then you had him a while so.....did you have him in the tank...and now have removed him to QT?

I am also guessing by your post you did this as he has probs with the white stuff ( for love of better words)

Alot some fugus looking conditions may not be fungi..they often are bacterial..its very hard to determine by looks alone.

Can you describe it more?

As for tank mates not getting it(showing symptoms)...well some fish can fight it, some carry it. One fish may pass it on and not have any symptoms, yet the others will.

Is it possible to get a pic? That would help alot.

Untill then I would personally keep him in QT away from other fish till it can be determined whats wrong.

The trouble with getting a pic (or actually not trouble) is that the treatment is clearing up the problem! (I did post in a long post all that was going on but I didn't get too much response from it so I just forged ahead :D )

I already treated the entire 58 with Jungle fungus clear but that didn't seem to help much.

He's been happily in the other tank since sometime in January.

It truly is a white patch(or was) (not slime coat -I know what that looks like). Not fuzzy, not little white stuff (like Ich or velvet). What happened was that is was very benign until the past few weeks when all of a sudden it started spreading & his fins started rotting. (He had it almost from the start on the edge of his fin)

OJ Jr. has different symptoms though (or maybe it's just in it's very early stages & just takes forever to spread). He only has a small white dot on his tail. Just started with a small amount of rot BUT the outside edge has split & is showing some redness(tank params are fine ammonia 0, nitrite 0 pH between 7.4-7.6 nitrate can get as high as 80 but they've been fine with this in the past. I use Prime) I'm moving him into QT as soon as Chocolate moves out (unless I get really pushed but I really don't have the space for so many QT tanks) He's not in distress & it's not progressing. (So maybe the Fungus clear worked a bit or???)

Freckles is showing no symptoms.

So I dunno??

Ideas are welcomed though!

:D

Jenn even though they have tolerated the high nitrates, it could be adding to the problem. I would get them under 20 and keep them there for a trial period of 4 weeks, see if anything changes.

These fish can be tricky and with your rot history, hey try anything.

Good luck

Unless you know of a chemical to reduce nitrates I am stuck. (I am AWFUL with plants so that is really out) - my tap water comes with 20-40 (also comes with ammonia) That's why they run so high sometimes (hard to get them down when I'm startin' at 40)

There no way I can use that much spring water (too much $$ for the budget) (It would be gallons & gallons)

I am open to any ideas though!

Dunno - we're talking about a 58 gal tank so....woah! They don't seem to be distressed in any way (other than the visible signs on them). They're swimming around happily & eating like the piggies they are (well OK - Choco is a bit blue as he's more cramped but still...)

What do you think about salting the big tank??? (I'm not crazy about it (174 teaspoons of salt! (to get to .3%)) but do you think that would help? Or is this kind of stuff usually not transmitted?? (These guys were together for 8 months with no problems - then I think bacon got too big & started nipping so that there were open wounds & now here we are!)

I'm not crazy about treating the entire tank with Maracyn (again it's alot & will most likely crash my cycle) but I'll do it if you think it needs to be done!

*biting fingernails*

Hi Jenn,

If I read it correctly, Chocolate is getting better but no fully recovered, is that correct? And you have another fish that has similar symptoms that you want to place in the QT now?

Yup - the white stuff appears to be gone. He has 1 more treatment of Maracyn today.

OJ has similar symptoms - the white bump & split fin, but the redness is unique to him. I want to get him into QT but that's alot of tanks/filters. (I have 6 normally running - Shim just died from dropsy(betta) That tank has been soaking in bleach & I'm not ready to put anyone in it. I have another tank from a betta that died but again - I haven't yet disinfected it (I know its been months - I can only claim a too busy life) So I really don't have any "safe" tanks to use to start another QT

WHadda think???

Thanks!!!!

PS - Eventually I want to get more fish for my 58 gal - I only have 3 in there right now so I want to try to deal with this so I don't continually infect fish

Actually to be honest these are the tanks from my super rot strain....so I would prefer not to put anyone in them for at least 6 months (even after I disinfect them-I haven't gotten around to that because I've been too busy). That strain of rot was super resisitant (I still have 1 betta with it - after treating it for about 15 months (yes you read that correctly). It scares the you know what out of me that it might get into my gf tanks (actually I really feel like tossing these tanks but I know that is unreasonable & they can be disinfected.)

Shim's tank is in process but again - he died of unknown dropsy just a few days ago so I'm not too keen on just putting another fish in there just yet.

Ideas??

Geez, this is a tough one. Normally, I would say relocate chocolate after the last course of Maracyn as long as he is in the clear but you seems to be surrounded by nasty strains of bacteria so I don't really know if that will just jump from the pan to the fire. Who is spread what to whom? <confused>

Yeah- I was afraid of that. What do you think about the main tank - do you think I need to salt it or??? (I did already dose it with Jungle fungus clear)I don't want to add any new fish to it unless I know it's safe but as I don't know what this is I'm a bit worried about it.

Do you think I should take this guy out & then redose the remaining fish & tank with the Fungus clear & hope that takes care of the tank? (Or dose it & salt it???)

Aaack :krazy:

Whadda think??

Captk I was posting at the same time sorry!

As far as this tank goes - I think what ever is going on is limited to this tank (& perhaps a betta tank as I used this tank to seed that tank. However it must be said that that betta was fine for about a month before he developed symptoms of popeye /finrot so...I think that they may be unrelated. (That betta is doing better in the rot department but the popeye seems resistant or perhaps it just takes a long time). Chocolate has always had these white bumps. They never spread to anyone else in there until we had the recent biting. Now it appears that OJ is having these same white bumps. Then Chocolate developed white patches & fin rot (noone else has had these patches. OJ has very limited fin split). THese patches appear to have totally resolved with the Maracyn/salt combo. I just tested the tank params in the 58 & they are NItrite 0, ammonia 0, pH 7.2 & nitrate 60. (Which is pretty good for that tank!) This is much better than the QT tank as the meds have totally destroyed that cycle (no surprise there). I was actually thinking/hoping the same thing (to move him back) as that water will speed up the fin healing as I know won't happen in the QT.

My 37 gal has a fish with a persistant red patch problem but as that fish is a pearlie who likes to lodge himself into tight places (& it heals up great every time). I am chalking that up to trauma.

My betta tanks....well....they are all on the fritz (or getting over it!). I have all 3 with rot. In 2 of them the rot is healing. In the 3rd I am going to restart meds (as he was doing better a few days ago). One tank has popeye as well.

Due to the super rot I am suuuper paranoid about tank sharing & have separate cleaning systems for all tanks. (Including 2 pythons for the big tanks) So I'm fairly certain that each tank is dealing with only it's own problems. (I learned that the hard way when I spread the super rot strain last summer)

Ideas???

Okay, I think you are keen to move him back and it looks like he is recovering but the QT might be slowing down the healing past a certain point due to waterQ issues and loneliness. I can understand that. :)

I would say move him back when he finish his last course of treatment and if he is still in the clear. There are risk in doing this but it is a question of balance as well. I can only say, keep an eye on all of them and the first sign of problems and it is straight back to the QT. :)

OK - he finished last dose yesterday. I changed water today & will keep him in there for a few more days on Medigold - if still lookin good....I'll give it a whirl (& move OJ in)

DO you think I need to do anything in the "home" tank to treat it or just see how it goes at this point.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Jenn

PS When I was out tonite looking for zeolite(for my cats - long story) I saw the hugist anchor worms on the fish in the store - an entire wall of goldies. I have never seen them that big. They have the entire wall in QT & she said they had to get a manager's approval to get some special med (but they had no idea of the name- of course the regular fish guy was out). She said the tanks share 2 filters (one on one set & one on the other) & both are infested. - YUCK! (I am thankful that is NOT my problem!!!)

All they need is some dimilin. Anchors Away would do. ;) At least they are quarantining them. I have known LFS that will happily sell sick fish to the unwary. :(

No, I can't think of any worthwhile preventative treatment, certainly nothing that will not hit your filter as well. Salt to 0.1% might help to ease the stress of relocation but it is neithr here or there. :) Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes!

:D Jenn

PS - I asked them if they were using Dimilin but they look at me like :blink: . She said it is ongoing from the supplier & now they infest every batch of fish they put in those tanks. I was happy to see all of the QT signs but those fish are dying from the effects of that infestation & it was hard to see them so beat up. What really scares me is that the store I had been going to uses the same supplier (at least theoretically - they're local stores of a national chain & the employee seemed to think so) I haven't seen any there yet..... <_<

Archived