Tank To Tank For Charlie?

mary

Okay - after I got back from vacation this August, I noticed Charlie Weasely goldfish had signs of tail rot. Spoke to the vet, who recommended upping the water changes and feeding less. So I began doing that, and was changing about 10 to 15 percent of his water (if you remember, he's the only goldie in a 20-gallon long) every other day. Think I began doing this after my Sept. vacation. I had previously been changing about 20 to 30 percent once a week. Anyway -

Increasing the water changes seemed to hold him steady, but he never began to heal. I spoke to the vet a couple of times - cut his food in half and kept changing water. But then I got a fairly bad cold, and didn't change his water for four days. When I took notice of him again - Thursday before the holiday weekend - his tail looked worse and his dorsal fin had gotten very ragged. I don't know what's happening here; it really does seem this tank is cursed.

Anyway, I called and emailed the vet, saying I felt I really had to get some medicine in the water just to keep him from deteriorating further. Gave him a dose of Jungle Fungus Eliminator Friday - went up to our parents that night. When I came back Sunday, he was no better, and possibly a little worse.

The vet thinks he will heal on his own if I can keep him superclean, so I bought two five gallon buckets today and am going to try the bucket to bucket method. Questions - Should I net him, or is hand catching ( with gloves) less stressful? I don't want to introduce any tank water to the buckets in case there are parasites. Should I add salt, and, if so, how much? Should I keep up the JFE - he's only had one 4 day treatment so far, but it really doesn't seem to be doing anything? And should I again try shocking the tank with pp? This was Polycarp's old tank, and it looks like whatever got to her has also gotten to him. I wish I had a scope!

Charlie's a 4 inch common/shubie cross in the 20 gallon with an eclipse hood and filter with biowheel. Bare bottom (mostly), 4 silk plants and one rock. Every time I've tested his water, it came out perfect - no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates less than 20. His pH is normally about 7.6. He began getting the tail rot after he'd been in the tank a couple of months. It had been empty 6 weeks before I put him in there, so, if it's lingering parasites/bacteria from Poly, it would have to be something that can live for that long without a fish to feed on. Any ideas about this? I feel like such a bad fish mommy - and yet I know it's not me, really. Benny Bashir betta is perfectly healthy in his little 2 1/2 with a palm filter - all I do is change out half the water and siphon the bottom every week, and I've had no problems at all. Why do my goldies always get sick?!

It sounds more like water quality to me.Apparently he started when you were on vacation,Tailrot,depending on how bad, usually will heal on its own-sometimes it will take time.You mention that in Sept after your next vacation that you started changing out 10-15 % every other day-which kept him kind of "Steady".Just wondering why you didn't start them after the August vacation? Thing about fish,is that it only takes a tiny bit of param readings being off to flare up any thing like rot. Then you got sick,and let it go for 4 days & the fish got worse-that makes sense to me. Are you testing every time that you're doing the water changes? It only takes one little spike to change all the healing to backfire.Personally,I have an Eclipse,and I really don't think the filter's are enough for Goldfish.I have added a second filter onto mine. I would forget the Jungle ,and just salt the tank to 0.1%,and work on a consistant water changing schedule. What test kit are you using for testing his params?

Well, thanks, Devs - sounds like you agree with the doc! In that case, I guess a couple of weeks of tank-to-tank won't hurt him - and then I can get him back into the main tank and keep up the routine that seemed to be working in June/July? I hope so! I test the water about once a week, so not before every water change. The test kits are Tetra - I prefer AP, but I think these aren't too bad. I almost always check the nitrates and ph, and look at the other two only if there's a problem. His nitrates have consistently been 12.5 on this test kit, and the ammonia and nitrite has always read zero (AP kit for nitrite). The doc says he's sure Charlie would do well with his plant filtration system; there are no ammonia products at all in his tanks, and, being a pond fish, that's what Charlie is used to. Even the cleanest tank is loaded with bacteria in comparison.

Just burbling on - thanks for the encouragement, and I'll let you know how he does.

Archived