Sign in to follow this  
Guest shygirl0787

Low Ph

Guest shygirl0787

Recently my ph as become lower than usual. I set up my tank over a week ago and the ph was stable at around 7.0, but the past few days I noticed the alkalinity dropping as well as ph so i bought a powder from my lfs called "proper ph 7.0." I've used it twice and its softened my water and raised the alkalinity but dropped the ph to the lowest color on my test strip, 6.4. Should I keep using the product or try something else?

Do you have any driftwood in your tank? I had the same problem due to driftwood, nothing could bring the pH up so I had to remove it from the tank.

Guest shygirl0787

No, all I have is one goldie and some fake plants... :unsure:

Do you have any baking soda? If you do, you can add a very little bit as it sneaks up slowly.... you only want to raise it little by little.... then wait about an hour before testing :)

Also, what is the ph out of your tap?

Guest shygirl0787

My tap water ph is 6.8 with 0 alkalinity. How much baking soda should I add to a 20 gallon?

I would say 1/2 teaspoon.

I put 3/4 teaspoon in my 30 gal. and 1 1/4 teaspoon in the 55 gal. everyother week to keep ph stable.