Sign in to follow this  
siansy

Breeding Tubacles

:D

Hi all,

I have two males ( no other fish in tank) with very clear Breeding tubacles. They appered almost a year ago, they have them all year round. I have done quite a bit of research into what tubacles are and how they can help in the breeding process but can't really find any reasons to why they always have them. Is it because there are no females for them to breed with. They must be so frustrated.

Anyone else have this with their goldies?

Breeding stars appear when the male fish 'comes of age'. It just means they're ready, willing and able to start breeding :D

Breeding stars appear when the male fish 'comes of age'. It just means they're ready, willing and able to start breeding  :D

409964[/snapback]

Breeding tubercles in human males in the form of "chest hair" also appears when we're ready, willing, and DEFINITELY able to start breeding! :D:lol:

sorry hehe pls carry on with the topic ;)

:rofl Chest hair Having wierd images now of fish with chest hair or men with breeding tubacles. Stop it.

Did you know that the tubacles are made of Keratin the same thing hair is made of. How wierd.

I suppose then the boys (or should I now call them men!) could always have them then as they arn't gonna get a chance to breed.

Breeding tubercles in human males in the form of "chest hair" also appears when we're ready, willing, and DEFINITELY able to start breeding!  :D   :lol:

sorry hehe pls carry on with the topic  ;)

410021[/snapback]

:rofl lol D_G - you big 'he-man" you :rofl

:rofl Chest hair  Having wierd images now of fish with chest hair or men with breeding tubacles. Stop it.

Did you know that the tubacles are made of Keratin the same thing hair is made of. How wierd.

I suppose then the boys (or should I now call them men!) could always have them then as they arn't gonna get a chance to breed.

410917[/snapback]

See see! Breeding tubercles are definitely chest hair for goldfish :D oh your boys are very manly, siansy. c'mon, give them a pretty calico ryukin or two for girlfriends :yeah:

lol D_G - you big 'he-man" you  :rofl

410918[/snapback]

:flex: ohohohoho

my males have had their tubercules develop and they never go away

When spawning, the male bumps or pushes the female's abdomen to get her to release eggs and synchronize the release of eggs and milt. The tubercles have a function here as they help the male to get a good "grip" on the female. They help him apply some pressure instead of just slipping off as he pushes her.

-steve hopkins

I have had some little boy fishes, which gain their breeding tubercles during their first spring, but then lose them. I've heard that after their second season they are more likely to keep their tubercles year-round.

See see! Breeding tubercles are definitely chest hair for goldfish  :D oh your boys are very manly, siansy. c'mon, give them a pretty calico ryukin or two for girlfriends  :yeah:

:rofl I couldn't do that to any poor females, they have no idea how to woo a woman and are far too rough.

When spawning, the male bumps or pushes the female's abdomen to get her to release eggs and synchronize the release of eggs and milt. The tubercles have a function here as they help the male to get a good "grip" on the female. They help him apply some pressure instead of just slipping off as he pushes her.

:rofl:rofl The images are getting stranger. I can't stop giggling now. Too many innuendo's.

My two males have had their "chest hair" for a long time. And they must be gay because they never make any moves on the girl fishies ( there are 9 girls)

My two males have had their "chest hair" for a long time. And they must be gay because they never make any moves on the girl fishies ( there are 9 girls)

411648[/snapback]

Hmm that's weird....

maybe the conditions are never right for them to trigger spawning... <_< hmmm

I doubt they are. There used to be a whole mess of soft, fake plants in the corner, and I fed them tubifex, and bloodworms every other day. I'm glad they never did. The fry probably would have gotten sucked up into the filter.

Mine start chasing when I do a water change. I wonder if my temps are off? I've heard that warmer water triggers spawning. I would prefer that mine wouldn't spawn either, I don't have another tank to put eggs, and everytime they do, they dig up every plant in the tank! <_<