Help With Really Hard Water!

Guest dukefan1907

Guest dukefan1907

I am new to keeping Gold fish, so a lot of things shoot right over my head.

In other words, t-a-l-k s-l-o-w!!! LOL!!

I live in a very rural area and only have the pet dept at nooppee to depend on. I know, boy am I sc--wed!!

Anyway, I recently tested my water with a kit by Jungle labs, and found that although everything else registered fine, my water hardness level was over 300.

(The kit tested for: ph, alkalinity, nitrite, nitrate and hardness)

Is there anything, other than moving!!, you can suggest in addressing this issue?

Thanks,

Duke

I find the simplest way to deal with very hard water is also the easiest. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Goldfish are very adaptable to the chemical composition of the water they live in as long as it's clean and stable.

My goldfish have been living in what can be considered liquid rock for years without any problems.

Rick

Mine too. Unless the fish bounce off the surface of the water when you toss them in, they are ok. ;)

If you really wanted to lower the hardness of your water, you can dilute the hard water with RO water or even distilled water. RO has been filtered to a perfect 7.0 pH and ZERO hardness - there is NO buffer there - so do not use it by itself. But if you mix your hard water with RO, you can tailor make the water for your fish.

This involved work - and may not be necessary.

:)

Guest dukefan1907

Thanks for the help.

I guess I was majoring on the minors, as they say!!!

I wondered how my fish were doing so well in such hard water.

I guess it boils down to the fact that goldfish are hardy creatures and can take it.

Thanks again,

Duke

Archived