How Can You Keep Craft Plants Down?

Kissy

:D

Hi Kissy,

Are you putting them in pots? if so maybe you could use some of the plant weights ( strips of metal ) to place in the pot or wrap round the bottom. If you want them to stay in the same place and are not worried about lifting them I'm wondering if you can use sealant underneath although I imagine this needs to be done in an empty tank woith no water. How about some gravel in the pot?

I run my tanks bare bottom. I do not have gravel to anchor plants in and most of the plants from the fish section of the store have those little plastic bottoms that are meant to be slide under gravel - they have no weight to them at all.

I take aquarium sealant (I am never without it! :lol: ) and glue a set of stones around the base of each plant. I can make it as big or as little a base as I wish. I can add multiple plants to a base or leave it at just one. Let them all dry on a piece of wax paper until you smell no more vinegar odor (about 2-4 days) and they are ready. I have found some hollow rock ornaments ( and some more from a member here) that I drill holes into them and stick plants into them, too. I seal it off with sealant. (They can hold real plants, too). Many of the other tank decorations like driftwood lookalikes and large rock look-a-likes look very nice with a plant glued to the base or the side or the top. Be creative - it can be fun. And the good part is that the sealant is relatively easy to remove and redo when you get tired of an arrangement. :)

I'm not so much for the pot idea. I'm thinking of triming down the long stems and glueing them to a bunch of 1" river stones with aquarium sealant. That way it will way them down and serve as a base at the same time. I have these REALLY nice lava rocks, but they are too sharp and rough for goldies. I'm saving them tho...In maybe 7 years or so when I have my own house I want to upgrade the goldies, and the 29 will become a heavilly planted tropical paradise. I want to grow a lush green carpet of something (heh..I don't know my plants) on themm. and grow some java ferns on it as well. I think it will look rather nice. Its just a huge pain waiting...I big heavy box of rocks isn't a convenient thing to store in your little bedroom :P

lol I thought I had it bad! I only have to wait two years!!! Im waiting until the day I can have my dream pond...sigh....

Thanks siansy :)

The tank will most likely be a gradual process, especially since I need to find some nice driftwood for a centerpeice. By the way its looking now, the driftwood will most likely be ordered online lol. Pics for sure :)

Archived