Air Stone V Bubble Wand

fantailfan1

Ok so I went to get an air stone and was surprised by the many different types. My question is: what's the difference between a 4" air stone and a 4" bubble wand? I thought air stones were small and round/square and bubble wands were long and tube-like. Then I saw 4" and 6" air stones and was kinda confused.

Sorry for the strange question . . . .

I don't know that the shape of the air stone/bubble wall makes that much difference but the size of the stone/wall can.

Air being forced through a smaller stone will disrupt the water surface more vigoursly than air from a larger stone/wall because the pressure is less, the bubbles more gentle.

The more disturbance at the water surface the higher the oxygen exchange in the tank.

:D

I believe airstones and bubble wands are the same thing. In the UK they are often refered to as bubble walls and curtains. The stones available in long and circular shapes. The larger the wall, stone ect the more powerful the pump will need to be.

Exactly correct. The material that is commonly used to create the standard rough blue bubble stones (long ones) or the rough small ones is very porous and makes fairly large bubbles. Because it is porous, it is also fairly fragile and can break apart fairly easily. Many just do, after a time.

The more fine pores on the plastic or fine bubble bars or stones make smaller bubbles, and are more long lived and strong. They can get plugged up with algae easier. (soak in hydrogen peroxide to clean most of them). Because they last longer, they tend to be a bit more expensive.

:)

Archived