Goldfish Problems

gab

I really enjoy your website and have learned a lot by reading it. Unfortunately, my goldfish, Blacklip, has been having problems off and on for about a year or so now. She started out going upside down periodically, then almost all of the time. She could right herself long enough to eat and then would flip back over and stay that way. I tried no food for a few days then peas only; Epsom salts, Maracyn 2, Medigold goldfish food, homemade gel food, and Progold food. She improved some after a couple months of the Medigold, and she is better since I?ve switched to the Progold. But, she still goes upside down occasionally. Mostly, it happens when she eats and only lasts a few minutes. Is there anything else I should try, or just not worry about it--at least she is better than she was several months ago.

Also, in the last couple of months, she started getting small ?blisters? on her tail. They are opaque and sort of have a gel-like feel--like squeezing a jellyfish. They?ll pop up, sometimes turn sort of reddish and then ?burst? and disappear after a few weeks. Her tail is left ragged and slightly red where the larger blisters have burst. I have done all sorts of research and have yet to come across anything like this. Could it be some sort of parasite?? She also has a black dot on her belly that?s been around for months. It appeared about the same time as the blisters did. In addition, she has started losing some scales. They turn a little red, then seem to almost peel off-it often takes several days for the scale to fall off. She has just started losing scales a few weeks ago. I?ve tried adding salt to the water in case it?s a parasite, but it didn?t seem to help much. Do you have any other ideas?

She and another goldfish, Streak (and a couple minnows) are in a 30 gallon tank with a Whisper over the back filter, a Fluval 204 canister filter, and a ?homemade? cartridge filter that pumps 250 gallons/hour through a 50 micron cartridge and a sponge. The goldfish eat ? teaspoon Progold morning and evening. In the morning, they also get 6-8 Spirulina flakes and at night they share 3 peas in addition to the Progold. A couple times a week, they also get some spinach and occasionally munch on live Daphnia (maybe once a month--whenever I have extras from my work). The tank has been set up for a little more than a year (they were in a 20 gallon and when I moved them to the 30, I transferred a lot of their old water and filter material with them so as not to disrupt the biofilter). Ammonia and nitrites are not detectable, pH=7.0, nitrates are high--40-60. I can?t seem to get the nitrates down--I?ve tried Nitrasorb, Chemipure, various additives and nothing works. Any suggestions?? My tap water does not have nitrates and neither do my other two aquaria. I?ve thought about adding plants. I change 25-30% of the water once per week, unless the nitrates get above 60, then I add in another water change. Right now I?m using Easy Balance by Tetra for the nitrates, but it doesn?t seem to help. I don?t use any other water additives--I have well water, so there is no chlorine, etc. The well water goes through a carbon filter before going into the tank. I have also thought about putting them in my 55 gallon tank along with 2 adult African clawed frogs. They don?t have any water quality problems and I?m sure they?d get along fine. But, if Blacklip may have some sort of parasite or something the frogs could ?catch?, I don?t want to house them together. I?ve read conflicting opinions about housing them together on various websites? Speaking of food earlier, the goldfish eat ? teaspoon Progold morning and evening. In the morning, they also get 6-8 Spirulina flakes and at night they share 3 peas in addition to the Progold. A couple times a week, they also get some spinach and occasionally munch on live Daphnia (maybe once a month--whenever I have extras from my work). The goldfish are bigger than the frogs, so the frogs couldn?t possibly eat them. The frogs are hand fed, so food shouldn?t be an issue--the goldfish would eat on the opposite side of the tank than the frogs usually do anyway. If one got sick, I would probably treat in a separate tank, although there are a few medicines that frogs can tolerate and respond to. Do you know if there are any other reasons they wouldn?t do well in the same tank? Thanks for any suggestions you may have for my goldfish.

I have only ever read that goldfish and ADF should not be housed together. It's those claws I'd worry about.

Ok, believe it or not those blisters are related to Swim Bladder Disease which also matches the other symptoms of your fish. Recommended treatment is Quinine Sulfate. Information found at www.fishfarmacy.com

Archived