Tall Vs. Long Tanks

goldiemom51

I kind of depends on the type of fish you have. Goldies like comets need as much length as they can get to swim around. Fancy goldies like lots of horizontal space to. The real key is surface area of the water, the more the better (for aeration purposes). It wouldn't hurt anything I suppose if the length and width of the new tank aren't smaller than what you have now, just make sure its well aerated. I would say though that long is better than tall.

Thanks for the info. I currently have a 10 gallon with one fish and wanted to upgrade to a 30 with three fish. If I were to use aeration, would this be ok if the surface area isn't as great. I currently have an oranda, don't know what I want to ad.

I guess the main concern is swimming area for your fish, most goldies like to swim side to side other than up and down so the longer and wider the tank is the better. It would probably work as long as the fish have enough horizontal room to swim. If your fish is a slow swimmer you should be okay, if he/she likes to dart around real fast it might not be such a good idea.

I understand!! My big plans for tomorrow are to finish taking out my old gravel, add new river rocks and an air stone. I think this is the 2nd time I'm redecorating and the tank ahs only been set up since end of July. I should really concentrate on my own house as much as I do the tank!! (Especially the cleaning part! :rofl )

I should really concentrate on my own house as much as I do the tank!!  (Especially the cleaning part!  :rofl )

411610[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAH! My husband says the same thing to me!

I, too, am looking to upgrade. I have a 10 gallon and so want a 55 gallon. But the prices here at the lfs are so outrageous I cannot afford it. Hence, I've been looking online at ebay, and such, for a better deal.

Yeah, I've got a 37 gallon and would like a 55. Hey why stop there, maybe a 75. But I just got the 37 about 2-3 months ago. Don't know if I can talk the hubbie into a bigger one already. Maybe I could make some kind of deal . . . . you get me a bigger tank, I'll clean our house more often. Probably wouldn't fall for it--he's pretty smart.

This whole upgrading tanks is so addictive. It reminds me of when I was a teenager and my dad got into boats. He ordered one and before he even took delivery he cancelled and ordered a bigger one. He ended up getting a bigger one every year for about 5-6 years. At least tanks are a lot less expensive than boats!

I went to the LFS today and they had a 55 with hood, stand and canapy for $425. Unfortunately it was sold, or it wold have come home with me!! It was really sweet. At least now I know what I want. Now I just have to find it!!!

411717[/snapback]

Wow that's a great price!! Good luck in your search!! Do you think your LFS will get more in?

He told me that he would call me as soon as he got another one, though it probably won't be at the same price. I just found the same stand and canopy on Dr. Foster's & Smith for $250.00 I'm going to price it out with tank & hood to see what it will cost. It is the Sedona Series. I'm one of those instant gratification people and waiting for it to ship would kill me!!! :D

Here is the link to the stand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...5&N=2004+113765

I understand!!  My big plans for tomorrow are to finish taking out my old gravel, add new river rocks and an air stone.  I think this is the 2nd time I'm redecorating and the tank ahs only been set up since end of July.  I should really concentrate on my own house as much as I do the tank!!  (Especially the cleaning part!  :rofl )

411610[/snapback]

I definitely know what you mean. I think you could eat off the floor of my tank right now but if you dropped it on the kitchen floor, I'd say let it go!! :krazy:

This whole cycling thing took it's toll on my house.<Looks around> I think I have a couple of kids buried in here!! :lol:

I've got my eye on a stand/canopy by All Glass Aquariums. It's the Modern Series in maple and it looks just like the cabinets in my house. And if that's not great enough the person at my lfs said you can send them your stain so they can stain it to match your cabinets. Unfortunately I just got my new tank about 2 months ago and they don't make the stand/canopy to fit that size.

So looks like I'll need to upgrade to a 55 or 75 sometime and get that stand/canopy! *dreams about huge tank and stand*

Good luck getting the one you want!! Glad you found it on-line so you don't have to wait for the lfs to get one back in.

I have seen the modern series and it really nice. I'm going to stop by the LFS today to see if they can order the stand and canopy for me. The store is a new start up and I'd rather give them my business to ensure they stay in business as they seem like a good store and responsible about fish keeping. We'll see what happens. Good luck with your big tank adventures.

Oooohh I'm sooo excited for you!! Once you get it all set up-PICS please!!

I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon--unless Santa brings me one!! (Highly doubtful as Santa thinks 2 fish in a 37 gallon have plenty of room.)

I just redecorated and am hoping to post pics in the next couple of days. I think it turned out kinda nice so I'm happy for now! :)

Archived