Jump to content

Red Cap Oranda Lying On The Bottom


Happy Oranda

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I have a threat in the Diagnosis & Discussion sub forum. But my baby's situation has just deteriorated over a night. I thought he has recovered from the Anchor worm and lice as he was quite active and swam around. But I was wrong.

This morning I found him lying on the bottom upside down. At first he lied on his back and then he tried to balanced himself which made him roll over and over again. Now he is lying on the side on the bottom breathing labouredly.

Last night I suspected that there was still a little interal infection coz his appetite was not very good and spit out food he ate. But I cannt believe that his condition has gone bad so incredibly.

Forgot to mention the param:

NH3, NO2 AND NO3 are 0 as I do 50% water change every day and 100% water change every other day.

The hospital tank is about 8 US gallons.

No med at all. Just little bit salt which is supposed to be less than 0.1%.

10 mins ago I looked closely at him and saw some tinny tinny bloody dots on his body which were not there last night. Could it be septicemia?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I'm sorry HO but your fish is in dire straits. I have had exactly the same problem with lice and sadly two fish died from septicimic haemorraghing and dropsy symptoms. The lice introduce toxins to the fish when they bite. These toxins seem to have a haemorratic effect.

Unfortunately, you haven't acess to medicated foods which I think would be the best treatment option. My only suggestion is to use a triple sulpha medication which has worked for both dropsy and septicimia but in those instances it was not related to fish lice.

In the treatment section there is an article on how to use triple sulpha.

I'm sorry but there is a strong likelihood that your fish will not recover, you may like to keep some clove oil on hand in case it is necessary to euthanise.

Wishing you all the best with your fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I'm suspecting a parasite and bacterial infection along with sbeing septic. Have you tried litterly crumbling up your food yet? And the fisheys gills are swollen, which is why he isn't eating. You don't need to do a 50% water change daily. 25-30% is what is recommended for every couple days. That is unless your water has some unknown things. What was all the symptoms before and how did you treat for anchor worms? Do you have pictures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Sorry HO, the red dots you mentioned are also symptoms of fish lice so it would appear your fish is still infected. So your fish may not be haemorraghing yet.

I would do another round of treatment for the lice. The life cycle of fish lice can vary from 90 days in cold temperatures to 30 days in tropical temperatures. In order to illiminate lice from my tank I actually medicated the tank once a month for 3 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Let's do a wide spectrum--

Get the following

Prazi--for external parasites

Quick cure--for external and internal parasites

Parasite Clear--for extner and internal parasites as well as helps against secondary infections

Melafix--Antibacterial fish rememdy

Antibacterial Medicated food--throw some in a zip log baggie and take a meat tenderizor to it, crush that sucker up. Then put in another bag, cuz the meat tenderizor puts holes in it. Manually feed the fish small bits of crumbs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Prazi and quick clear as well as the medicated food should be used first--NO salt added. Does not go well with quick cure. Now, those 3 may be used together. *smiles at fish* Per a fish specialist, a fish vet, and toothy (Paul) those three may be used together. Now for the others, I would not recommend. Didn't realize I forgot to tell how to use it. Thanks fish. I'm treating the "wide spectrum" right now on my fish. And I currently am using all 3 of those. Use the quick cure at half dose at first, watch closely for 2hours and if doing well, add the the rest of the dose. Can be kept at half dose if needed. I'm using the half dose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanks lot, guys!

Due to the time difference, I have just red through your replies, But... it is a bit too late now. He actually is half-dead. I mean he only breathes once every 15-20 seconds and cannt move at all. :cry1

However, what you have recommended is abosolutely useful if I came across a similiar situation (I really dont want to).

It is a pity that I have not got the proper med for the bloody anchor worm and lice. I have used the Anti-Crustacean Parasite from Interpet which is said to be killing my fish. And I was recommended to use Dimilin, but so far I have not found where to get it in UK. I have tried to order on a US website, but they could not post it to UK as med is under strictly control of government. :( As to the med food, after the Scotish Salmon were found to be fed anti-biotics which will cause women barren, I heard that all the med fish food were banned here. Guys, you are lucky to access those med so easily to save your fish. I feel guilty not to get the med for him.

At last, I want to say good luck to your sick fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

We don't have access to medicated food in Oz either. :(

I treated the lice by physically removing the adults with tweezers and dosing the tank with Para-Cide which contains Trichlorfon. (no dimlin here either) I dosed the tank for a week each month for 3 months to make sure all the lavae were killed as they hatched.

Another good product to use is Sterazin by Waterlife which is available in the Uk.

I'm sorry it's too late for your oranda but if you have other fish who were exposed to the oranda I would continue to treat the main tank. Good luck, lice are horrible things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...