Upside Down Ryukins

GFandy

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? Color doesn't quite match anywhere, but i think 20 ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? ph-8 kh-300

Ph Level out of the Tap? Same

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? gals- 45 US, with GF-1 month, with koi 1 1/2 years, kept old filter in

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Hagen Fluval 304 and Whisper 60

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week aprox 10%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1- 3 or 4 inches, 2- 1 1/2 to 2 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

Any medications added to the tank? Yes, Jungle Parasite Clear

Add any new fish to the tank? Nope

What do you feed your fish? tried feeding peas did not recognise as food, no longer accept floating pellets, they eat flakes now with the occasional sinking pellet

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed fins due to them getting caught in filter tube, blood streaking in fins

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Sitting on bottom, not eatting too much, lazy

Hey gang, semi new here,

well i've had 2 ryukins for alot of years now mayb 4+ not sure anymore.

anywho, for the past idk how long but a long while they've been upside down on the bottom, most likely from neglect because of an obsession of koi, now that obsession has died down and no more neglect.

they don't have an apetite anymore, the other GF in there with them is better, swims better but still on the bottom but not upside down.

i'll get a picture later must do HW

ackoi

Hi and welcome.

Thanks for posting the params of the tank. All look good there, so we'll need to determine why they are having problems. I am not sure why you say neglect from the koi, could you explain this a little more, I don't get it? Did the koi hurt the others?

Upside can be an indication of Swim Bladder disease. Have you fasted them?

Not to put words in GFandy's mouth or anything but I think he meant that he neglected his goldies when he became obsessed with koi. I cant be entirely sure though, only he knows

Not to put words in GFandy's mouth or anything but I think he meant that he neglected his goldies when he became obsessed with koi. I cant be entirely sure though, only he knows

409629[/snapback]

yup your right,

they haven't been fasted in a while, so than i guess i should fast them now.

treating with Parasite clear because, koidoc from koiphen said that the upside down condition could be cause by a parasite or mayb it was a bacteria, i must check... ok heres what he said:

Yes you have swim bladder problems. I would suggest the stress shown in the other fishes fins would suggest some type of parasite as well. If it has been a long term problem, the swim bladder problem may have been caused by internal bacteria that effected the organs.

full thread here:

Thread-Aquariums...

p.s thanks for seeing my thread, and replying

I would fast them 2 days and then feed a pea the next 2 days.

Spitting food can be an indication of a parasite. You may want to treat with Jungle labs-Parasite Clear. This is a good med to rid most parasites.

Right move on parasite clear.

Keep your water perfect.

Pick up some quick cure.

Pick up some melafix.

Pick up some antibacterial medicated food.

Now, for the food--I've got that solved. Hopefully. I'm battling parasites in my tank right now. Fish won't eat cuz of gills being swollen for you. I had the same thing. But the monkey could eat flakes. So what I did with the medicated food is I threw some in a zip lock baggie and took a meat tenderizor to it and crushed those suckers up really fine. Then I started manually feeding (holding him and feeding him).

And take that salt out before you add the meds!!! I found out the hard way, right Paul?

*fixes this post before fish catches my ineffecient directions*

After finishing the parasite clear, start the quick cure. The medicated food may be used during treatments of all. Start quick cure at half dose, wait 2 hours whilst watching the fish closely. If all goes welleth, then add the rest of the dose. However, quick cure may be used at half dose. Do a 25-30% water change before every dose of quick cure.

Do a 30% water change when finishing the quick cure. Test water daily. And keep us posted!

Thank you,

i'll try to get the meds asap, parasite clear is gonna be all done 2morrow, i think...yea

they dont sell medicated foods around here so i'll probably gotta order that online, any recommendations?

andy

I am not sure I would recommend all those meds. Most certainly don't use them together, but I would be skeptical in using them back to back.

I am thinking this is primaraly a SBD problem, maybe parasites but I would finish the parasite clear and do the fasting and then wait a few days and see what happens.

Medicines can often help but they can also do more harm than good sometimes.

i think the parasite clear dosing is over, i did the 2 treatments 48 hrs apart with a 25% water change in between...soo i think its over and now i'm just fasting. they've turned sideways now...they lie on their sides...very strange

You will have to keep an eye on them, what are the params of the tank now?

SBD if left untreated can often not be corrected. I would say that if you don't see much improvement after both parasite clear treatments and the fasting well.....................

You can fast again and repeat that part of the treatment, but the fish may be compromised here on out and not much may help.........Sorry.

yea i'm hoping thats not the case,

params- nitrate 20

nitrite0

ammonia 0

KH-300+

pH-8

if they do have SBD than i'll try to talk to my mom about alternate housing arangements (another aquarium for them to live out the rest of their years)

andy

params are the same,

currently removing parasite clear with carbon,

the gf that is worst off has one eye that is looking swollen, the other eye is normal, the eye could've been scratched or somthing by the air stone but i'm not sure.

fins have visible blood in them.

when the ryukins try to swim, it looks very labored,

:cry:cry

i think that they probably have sbd :( , so there isn't much that can be done for them now is there?

No, there is not too much that can be done for swim bladder disease. Just keep the fish comofortable and make sure they are getting enough food and not being picked on by other fish.

People have made slings for SBD fish to live in. These slings hold them upright. Very neat.

An update,

yesterday night, they were all moved to a smaller aquairum with less flow, i discovered, after turning off all my filters that they were more able to swim with alot less flow soo they were removed back to their old home (10 gal i kno very small but the flow is good for them) I asked mother about if she wanted to put them down, she said that she wanted to let them live soo they are.

how should i disinfect the big aquarium? I will be putting the babies i got recently in there to get big. O and i have no access to things like PP so that isn't an option.

THanks

PS i don't really want to use bleach cause i worry about not cleaning it out well enough

thanks again have a good friday!!

andy

Andy, the only thing other than the PP to disinfect is bleach, just rinse and rinse until you can't smell bleach anymore.

Is the new tank they're in bigger or smaller? Often fish with SBD do better in more water. JUst a thought.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

The ryukin that was worse off is now pooping green!!! which means that he/she was eatting the peas!!!! he/she is also swimming alot better!!!! :) YAY!!! but the other one is still not quite as good

thanks alot laurie and others!!

also when the tank light is turned off they turn more active, i guess too bright huh?

Andy

Hey guys,

well yesterday mom and I tried to order

Pro GOld

Medi Gold

and a test kit from

GOldfishconnection to try to make the goldies better

but we got an error message, anyone else have this problem?

andy

Andy it is good to hear that the fish is eating. And pooping that is a good sign. I would continue to fast and give peas. 2 days fasting and 2 days with peas for a week or so to give them a good cleaning out.

As for gf connection, I haven't heard anything. Have you tried calling them? Might be a good idea.

Alrite soo today my pro-gold, new test kit, and medigold came in, question should i feed the upside down goldfish with the food?

also should i feed my new fish the med. food for a few days as a preventitive, cause it says

MEDI-GOLD is a good food to feed to your NEW fish for 10 to14 days after you receive them. It will help them fight off any Bacterial attack they might suffer from being stressed from shipping.

thanks laurie your a HUGE help!

andy

gonna test the water with the new kit =)

Before starting the med food, how is the fish? Is it still upside down?

If yes, then fasting the fish a couple more days may be in order. Then the peas.

I don't think the medigold will help with the SBD.

Archived