Surgery For Fin Rot

Kissy

Guest Chishower

Interesting, I can see how that would work.

I would only recomend this for extreme, last resort cases, ie fin rot has been there for months and is getting dangerously close to the body, all other treaments exausted.

And I would have a vet do it if I could.

:unsure: I don't think that personally,I would ever feel comfortable in trying it.Too many things could go wrong I think.I've heard of other people performing this also,with no results too.The fins that were left began to rot also.I'm wondering,if it's really a temporary fix-if you're cutting off the obvious,and not getting rid of the problem that's causing it to begin with? :idont Interesting thoughts though.

It's very effective if you sterilise the scissors and are prepared to keep the betta in pristine water treated with bettamax or something similar for the next month... however people are usually only driven to this stage when the fin rot has started to approach the body and threatens to consume the whole fish... at which stage it is too late to use scissors anyway.

Kissy, if your fish has a lot of fin and you have a tough stomach and a helpful friend to hold the fish (in a smooth fabric not a rough towel), try it. But if you do, you should probably also try boiling any water you use to fill his tank for the next month or so as well. There's a chance there's a bacteria in your water supply reinfecting your boy that he just doesn't have the immune system to fight off.

That is interesting. I do not know if I would attempt that unless it was that severe (which it seems that lady thought it was) but that is great that it worked for her.

Hi yabbie :)

Orchard seems to be doing well with the salt in his tank, so I'm not worrying about this. I stumbled across this when I was searching for pics of fin rot to include in a care sheet/fin rot info page I was making for my neighbors.

Do you mean to try boiling the new water before I add it to the tank at waterchanges to see if it will help with the rot?

Archived