A Mysterious Appearance...

atryeu

LoL I have a 10 gallon tank that will be home to my single male betta when it's not being used to QT new fishies.. It currently has 4 guppies I bought for 15 cents each (two females and 2 turned out to be males). I did my first water change on the tank earlier around 2pm PST... I keep the tank on a stand with another shelf.. I was digging through papers and noticed a little guppy laying on the bottom of the tank and I kept thinking it was the smaller female and she got caught in the filter and somehow made it out or something. She didn't look good at all. But then, I spotted her at the top of the tank so this is a mysterious 5th guppy that wasn't there earlier o.0

I know I only had 4 in there all this week. My larger female is pretty big and I thought she may be pregnant, but she doesn't look that big. The smaller female was definatly not pregnant when I got her. This little guppy definatly looks to be a fry, but it looks large enough so the other guppies can't eat it... How long does it take for a guppy fry to become large enough so it won't be eaten by the others, it can swim almost normally yet still be small enough to hide among the gravel? I've only had these fish for exactly 1 week (as of tomorrow/Monday) and I've never seen this fish until just a bit ago. The tank is bare bottom aside for a small pile of gravel in a corner for my plant bulb... I sat and watched for about half hour but did not see either female giving birth and did not see any other little ones.

Also, I noticed this morning that my smaller female guppy has something wrong with her right eye. The pupil is extrememly small. She seems in perfect health though, but I was curious if there were any ideas about this and if it's a sickness, could it spread to the others? She may have had this problem all along but I didn't really notice until today. I never seem to see her right side, she always has her left side to me LoL

Sorry this is a bit long :P

Two!! LoL There's another one in there! I'm thinking my larger female is very slowly giving birth.. The fry look a bit large to be newborns though o.0 Hmm... They seem to be swimming well though and the larger fish aren't bothering them o.0 I have some fry food still that I placed in the tank for them :D Yay!! Wonder what I'll do with them now o.0 I bought the guppies for the QT tank and was going to move them to the other once it's ready for my betta (since it'll be awhile yet before I get new fishies). Oh well, maybe I'll stick with guppies for awhile I guess LoL. If I see anymore babies, I'll update everybody tomorrow!

LoL They are actually pretty small (although they look a bit bigger than the other fry past females have ad o.0 LoL) :) It was just the way it was laying I guess. Between the reflection of the fish and the angle it was laying, it made it look larger than it was LoL. They seemed just big enough not to be bothered by my smaller female and male though. They paid no interest to the fry, but the larger female and male sure did! (LoL I know the male/female ratio is off there... I didn't know the guy gave me 2 males with the fish but I've been keeping a close eye on them. No mating yet).

Anyways, Apparently between 2:30pm and 9pm my adult female did have babies LoL I found and saved 9 of them. They are in my little breeder trap now with a blob of that fake breeding grass in there for someplace to hide.

Two, last night, seemed nice and healthy. They were near the surface swimming around pretty well and eating already :) The others would try and make it up but I don't know if they ever did. I seen most of them in there moving around this morning though so they made it through the night! The others are hiding in the grass somewhere LoL

if your big female is indeed larger, them possibly she had a very small batch of big kids? Ive heard of stranger. the smaller ones possible were/are eaten by the other fish

LoL Could be. She's a good 2 inches long it looks like, and she did look kinda fat LoL. All 9 of the little guys (or gals) I saved are hanging in there! I seen 8 of them earlier and hoped the 9th was hiding in the breeding grass thingy I have in there for them. I've seen 2 or 3 of them eating when I add a bit of the fry food too :)

Any ideas about the other little female and her eye problem? I got a closer look today and used a magnifying glass but it was hard to see with the lighting still. She can move the eye okay, but I can just barely see the pupil and I don't think she can see well out of the eye. This problem won't affect the other fishies, will it? *is worried*

Okay, thanks! I was just worried of it being a disease that'd spread to the other fish -_-

Thanks! It looks like they are all okay still! I didn't look really well yet since I'm just waking up though, but I added a little food in there for them again and I seen several of them in there still :)

It takes roughly 4 weeks before you can ID the sex, correct? So about 2 weeks maybe before they are big enough to be let into the tank with the adults? Just looking for an estimate so I have an idea LoL

:) Congrats on the fry! It's possible that the bigger female started having them the day you brought them home for all we know! :lol: Maybe that's why they look a little bigger ,and that there's not too many of them. :idont As for the eye,that's really hard to guess about.Most guppies that come from LFS's are usually not the best health to begin with,and as Tink said,it could also be some sort of birht defect.Just keep an eye on it(no pun intended),and watch your water params. ;)

Thanks devs :) LoL I think she had to have had them on Sunday... They weren't there at all this last week and I didn't see them before the water change o.0

About the eye, thanks! I was just worried if it would spread to the other fishies. I've had a few fish with problems before that have done okay though, and she seems in good health otherwise. She's eating and swimming around a bit with the others :)

I'm trying to keep an eye on the water params, but the tank is cycling so it's hard to keep them perfect LoL. I have some larger gravel in there from my other cycled tank to help with the cycling. Last time I did that the tank cycled in under 3 weeks so I'm hoping it won't take this one long either :)

Archived