Algae Needs Eating!

Guest ForeverTheBard

Guest ForeverTheBard

Those of you who were around earlier might remember my bad experience with a Chinese Algae Eater that I had to remove from my tank after I caught her sucking on my goldfish :(

Now I'm realizing just how much she used to eat... my tank is growing brown algae faster than I can scrub it off! I have shortened the time the lights are on... it's not really helping. :(

Someone suggested I get an otto or two... but now I'm reading that goldies like to eat ottos and sometimes the otto's fins can get caught in their mouth and it's ugly.

How often does this happen? I want a clean tank, but I don't want my goldies to get hurt.

FTB

cory cats or dojos might be good additions, but I'm not aure if they will eat as much algae as your tank is producing...I'm thinking that maybe you should put some live plants in that will take away some of the nutrients that the algae is using to grow so muhc

I had one goldfish who ate an otto a couple of months back and it wasn't a pretty sight to see.... :( I would suggest a bristlenose or rubberlip plecos as they are good algae eaters :D

Bristlenose plecos are goldfish compatible and only grow to around 7.5cm (3") but boy do they eat the algae! I would only recommend getting one per tank or they would run out of algae to eat. I have 2 bristlenose and rotate them between 5 tanks, they manage to keep all those tanks clean! (2 x 30g, 1 x 40g, 1 x 15g, 1 x 10g)

Just a tip. Bristlenose definately need driftwood/bogwood in the tank. They actually eat it and it is beneficial to their digestive system, it is their second most stable food after algae.

I need an Algea Eater too but i'm 5 gallons overstocked as it is-And I'm scared the Plecos will eat all the Algea and not have enought to eat and the only ones they sell here are common plecos-My water is green -_-

That was exactly what I was going to post as a reminder - remembering that any fish you add to your tank is a waste producer - and you must allow the volume of water for it, too,in your stocking calculations.

Have you tried reducing the amounts of food offered? Perhaps there is wasteage which is giving you high nitrates and thus high quanties of algae. PErhaps your particular system needs more quantity of water changed at each change or needs the changes more often to keep the nitrates down. Lower nitrates mean less algae.

Just a thought. I like Annette's idea of rotating the algae eater through all the tanks - that is, if the slippery little guys can be easily caught. Catching a Siamese Algae Eater was most aptly described by Emma as being like nailing jello to the ceiling - an extremely difficult, most likely futile and very wet enterprise! :lol:

So true. Catching the little so 'n so's requires immense patience and a quick hand. Once they realise they've been targeted you can forget about it. Sometimes the wisest thing to do is walk away and try again another day. ;) I've done that a few times. ;)

if its brown algea, perhaps a brigg? (mystery snail) Their not algea eating machines, but will help eat left over food and munch on a bit of algea

Archived