Black Tank Backgrounds

Guest jamoko

Guest jamoko

i know you can get internal textured black tank backgrounds, but is it possible to get a flat black background that could be attached to the outside of the glass?

also does having a black background hide/disguise any algae growth on the glass the blackground is attached to?

thanks

jamoko

I have a black plain background attached to my tank. Just go into your pet store and ask to see the reverse of the backgrounds and usually there is the plain black.

It does hide the algae but ive got a plec to keep mine under control.

Guest richard23

yes but watch for the algae. i used a whole load of unused foam mousemats from my old company, stuck em together so it adds as a padding against the wall too. I had a frightening shock one day though when i took them away to discover the algae...least I know how to look out for it now.

I've heard of people using this spray on glue stuff (pref water based), then attach your backing. I'm looking to get some black backing as well, when i can find it cheap enough. I'm a little worried about sticking glue to the back of my tank though, i know its water based and should come off with water, but still. And then somehow i have to get it under the canister tubings (x4) and not get bubbles n what not.... hrmm

hey guys,you could just paint the tank black with spray paint if tank is empty,but if not and you have a back ground use some vaseline,smear it on the back ground first then put it on tank use a id card to smooth out air bubbles sticks like that for a long time,then if you want to change back grounds it pulls right off

vaseline hey.. but its oil based, how do you get it all off the back of the tank?

The cheapest i've seen it here is like $4.50 for a measly 30cm. Sif i'm paying that much :P . Ebay only has like 2 sellers, and no black backgrounds.

svendenhowser, i'm in the uk so presumably your searching on the us ebay site? try www.ebay.co.uk and see if you can find any sellers that will post internationally as a lot of them do. even if you can't find one offering international postage, you could email them and ask if they'd be willing to post some to you and ask them to let you know the postage rate in advance.

this is the link for who i bought mine off and they post internationally

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-P...oQQcmdZViewItem

www.xe.com will help with currency conversion

jamoko

I'm in australia. Once you pay for international shipping you'd be paying waaaaay over the amount i'd be paying locally. I mean 1.1 pounds (we dont have pound signs on aussie keyboards :P ) is still $3.3, nearly just as much as i can buy it for here.

I think i'll just go to crazy clarks or kmart or something and get a roll of wrapping paper :P

Remove vaseline from back of tank - Vinegar! or rubbing alcohol - whichever you can stand more! Vaseline trick works great and it is water proof! I bought a plain black background at an aquarium store online: http://aquariumguys.com/aquarium-backgrounds.html Hides algae to some degree but there's always that angle in the light... like the opposite of the blind spot!

i've just tried to put up my black tank background using the vaseline method and it was no good!

yes it stuck well, but it looked terrible, it was streaky (even though i used very little vaseline) and i could not get rid of the air bubbles even after running over it with a bank card to smooth it out.

so i've taken it off and cleaned off the vaseline and now the house reaks of vinegar :o

any other suggestions for attatching the background would be greatly appreciated!

jamoko

I have no suggestions on how to attach the background. I am experiencing my own difficulties....

Are you talking about attaching the background to the OUTSIDE of the tank; not the inside? I am curious as to what the consensus is on this....

Currently, my background is INSIDE the tank. I didn't do a very good job when I initially "installed" it. I used scotch tape, then I used industrial velcro (which doesn't stick anymore when it's wet). So I am having troubles w/the water....

If it were me Id just use a thin piece of doublestick tape. Id probably cut the strip in half lengthwise so its really thin and you wont see it so much. If you do end up seeing it in the corners you can just stick plants there. I have never heard of putting backgrounds INSIDE a tank before.

I tried the construction paper....ew. On tanks 10 gallons or less maybe...but on my 55 gallon I had to tape several sheets together and just could not hid the seems well enough! It looks tacky. Next time I will try to find some silver, black, or blue wrapping paper.

actually I was just gonna say that lol. I think Im going to put up a black background and see if I like it enough to paint it.

You can buy this stuff...i forget what its called, but you spray it on glass first so that the paint will stick. Otherwise I dont think paint will stick to glass very well....I could be wrong...I never tried it lol.

I hate it when you can see the tape though. So I probably will paint it.

Black, blue or maybe a metalic silver...depending on the color fish in the tank. I cant put black on my moor tank lol! Id never see them!

i've been trying to attatch to the outside of the tank. the only thing i know of that you can use inside the tank is aquarium silicone, and you have to let it dry properly before adding water to your tank as far as i know!

jamoko

Archived