Strange Behavior...

Junasai777

My red cap oranda keeps lying in the exact same spot of the tank during the day--way at the very bottom, motionless on the gravel. He isn't lying on his side or rubbing against anything, but just lying there, not moving his fins or anything. I'm worried...is this a symptom of some disease or is he just resting? It's been 12 days since I got him (he's still pretty small, like one inch), and until yesterday morning, he never displayed this behavior. Until yesterday, he was an active fish, always swimming and wriggling during the day. I checked the water, but everything is fine and I've been doing partial water changes every other day. Yesterday, I put one tablespoon of aquarium salt into my 10-gallon tank, hoping it would help. Should I try some more salt again?? I've also stopped giving him the flakes since this odd behavior started, and have been giving him shelled peas, chopped up. There is a bubble-eye in the tank with him, and he is perfectly fine and healthy. What should I do? I also posted in the disease section of the messageboard, but thought I'd post here, too. When I go close to the tank and peer in, the red cap oranda will come up to me and swim around. He will also eat the peas I put in, although his appetite doesn't seem to be as voracious as it was before... I am a newbie, so please help with any ideas or information you might have. I don't want him to die. :( His outward appearance hasn't changed, I think.

Jun

Was your tank cycled 12 days ago when you got him, or is this a new set up? Are you decloranating your water as you do these frequent water changes?

This is a new tank, so it wasn't cycled when the bubble-eye and oranda were put in. I pretty much had no choice about it because my cousin gave me the 2 fishies and a 1.77 gallon tank as a present 12 days ago. I put them in this tiny tank and the filter was broken (it was brand new, but was brooken). I went to the store the day after I got them to get a 10 gallon tank for them, and after waiting one more day to let the new tank filter for 24 hours before putting them in, I put the fishes in their present tank. Yes, I put in the dechlorinator along with the new water. Also, after reading your post, I have another question: I have a water softening device that uses salt to purify the water. This is my drinking water and this is the water I've been putting into their tank. In other words, it's not tap water. Do I still need to leave out the water for 24 hours before putting it in the tank, and do I still need to use the dechlorinator?

Jun

Archived