Tried To Give Some Kids Advice On Some Gf...

maries

Anyways, yesterday I was at a birthday party at a kids amusement park and the party area was near this reptile store which I just went in to check out... had some bettas and feeder fish...

Later I overheard some of the kids at our party say "Imma buy some goldish they are 5 for a dollar" so I'm like thinkin eeek here we go.... =x... so I follow them in a few mins later and they are buying 4 fish, 2 each for 2 kids in these tiny tiny tiny carriers and overhear the cashier tell them they need dechlorinator and they are like "wha" lol so I "pop" in and say "yeah if you put them in regular tap water they'll die'' and they kinda look at me like ''um ok'' ..

so anyways they come out and I overhear one of the girls say "watch Imma end up killing these fish like last time'' ... trying to be nice I said yeah they won't last very long in those small containers and said you can get a 10 gal at mmm or vvvv for less then $10 it'll help and for now you should change their water everyday etc etc.. tried to explain some things without gettin into it too much cuz they're kids they won't quite understand and will end up not listening... and my hubby overheard me and he actually pitched in :) He said ''yeah my wife knows a lot about fish, she made her fish last a long time, b/c if it was me I probably would've killed them too'' So before I left I just took a look at them there on the table and they looked so sad.. :( and really they were some cute feeder fish!! Ack, ok enough ;)

So yeah... sorry it's kinda long but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about, thanks for reading my lil story which was one of the first times I've spoken up b/c I'm usually this laid-back person who usually rather not say anything, so I did surprise myself .

I know how you feel, parents need to either teach their kids how to care for animals or not have any. I think pet stores should pass out little pamphlets on good fish care with all the fish they sell. Not everyone would read it but I think a lot of people would and it might help save some fish...

Yes, I agree... I actually noticed some pamphlets there and was looking for one to give them but they only had em for their reptiles, of course it was a reptile store so I wasn't surprised.

Guest PetalFlower

Sad story I have a similar one - I can't even imagine how many goldfish die because people don't do any research.

Myself and two of my co-workers ended up taking home goldfish that someone at work bought because they thought they would make good centerpieces in little vases with flowers on top! :o

I have since learned tons from this site and have tried to educate my two co-workers on how to care for them.

But at 2 weeks in, they both went and got more fish :o One girl has picked up 1 more goldie, a pleco and a frog - in a 5 gallon tank!!! :( The other girl has a bigger tank, but has purchase 4 tropical fish and added them to her tank with the gold. I tried to tell them about cycling and mixed coldwater and tropical fish, but I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. :angry:

I have given up with them as they don't seem to care. :( Poor fishies won't last too long with those owners.

Guest PetalFlower

Thank maries, at least you did what you could too.

I guess that's all we can do, but it sure is frustrating. I realize it's the same with a lot of pets - look at the animal shelters. It just blows me away that people allow themselves to be so ignorant about a living animal they are bringing into their life. How can you not want to learn everything you possibly can?

Are we the wierd ones? I hope not!

We are not the wierd ones!!!!

Pet stores should take more responsibility in selling pets! I know in my lfs you have to be at least 18 to buy a good quality tank. People who dont care for their pets really make me mad! :angry: Like my band teacher who has 2 COMETS in a 10 gallon! WE are not the crazy ones!

It was a good thing you tried your best to educate those kids! I myself wish I had been better informed about goldfish, true I knew that I would need a tank and filter and things like that, but I'm glad I came to Kokos!

Haha I'm pretty sure someday I'm going to walk into a petstore or to a carnival and end up telling lots of peoples what I've learned about keeping fish.

Oops, sorry I think I got carried away. :rolleyes: Most of us were at the situation when buying a new pet and we knew nothing but a basic idea about it. Sometimes you get an exellent oppertunity to learn more and expand your knowledge on what you Thought you alraedy knew (ex: Kokos) but it all depends on what you do with it. We took the advise, but the others didnt, that happens in every part in life.

I have to admit that when my little boy won "Basil" at the fair I didn't have a clue..... I do now & he has a nice big (cycled at last) tank & 3 little friends. My friends kids all won fish too but none lasted more than a week. They said to me that I must have go the only good fish out of a bad batch & I just nodded & kept quiet when really I wanted to say: no, it's just that I give a sh*t about living things.

most people get fish cause of there beauty without regards as to what is takes to keep that beauty...it's like with little kids...tehy see something that they want and they have no concept as to how much it might cause or how delicate it may be...all they know is how they want it and thats all that matters

:( It's very frustrating when you see these kind of situations,but I always tell myself that if just one person listens,then it wasn't in vain.Who knows,maybe that person will get at least one person to listen,and so on..I'm finally realizing that you can't save the world,so you can't let it get you down. You also can't give up either.You give it your best shot,and you move on. When I was a kid,we didn't have the Internet. Sometimes it was very hard coming up with any kind of information on specific care/needs of fish. In today's world,I find it absolutely amazing how much access kids have for learning about new things. It only takes a minute or two to go0gle and find everything you need to know about a specific pet. Today's world just makes it too easy for a person to get a pet,keep it a week,& then decide"No I don't want it now",and then they get rid of it,and buy their "Next victim". Alot of people have no clue about fish.Their biggest problem is that it's much too easy to go and buy them on the spur of the moment-kill them,and without a blink,go out and replace the dead ones. Le :rolleyes: t me stop there. Anyway,Congrats on the trying part,be proud of yourself for that.Learn as much as you can about the fish you keep,and keep trying to sway people to learn the "Correct Way". :exactly

I know how you feel-I'm 12 and look alot younger than I really am-And they think since I'm so young I dont know anythign and give us the wrong info-And he was directing everything to my grandfather who dsnt really know how to take care of fish-And I'm the one who auctually takes care of them-It's frustrating :(

*sigh*

He called my water trash because of a Nitrate spike and wouldnt tell me the exact numbers -___-

Archived