What Should I Do?

Ok, today when I was doing a water change, I was looking at my filters, and there were about 12 to 15 snails total sitting where the water spout pushes the water back into the tank. Well their pretty tiny, just babies. I had to change two of the filter pads in one of my filters (i have two) and when I pulled out the filter pads there were probably 100+ on the filter pads, and just as many all along the walls of the filter. I never see them in the tank (the goldies eat them before they get too big) so im curious, what do i do with all of these snails? I want to save them, and figured I could give them away when their big enough, but I dont know what to do.... Can I try to carefully take them out of the filter (i know their really brittle so how would i even go about this) or should I leave them... will they get bigger in the filter with that many of them?? What should I put them in if I do get them out?? ANy advice would be awsome. I feel awful.... i feel like im killing all of them when I change the filter...

Thanks

I believe their golden apple snails, the only reason why I say this is because the only time my plants came into contact with any snails was a couple months back when I had an ick outbreak. I had to take all of my live plants out, and I at first put them in my 10 gallon that had two large apple snails in it. Shortly after that, I rigged up a rubber maid with my lighting system from the 55 that had ick, and kept the plants in there for a months, and had TONS of snails pop up in there.... I didnt really think much of it, when salt was out of the 55, i stuck the plants back in, and every now and then I find snails in the tank, but the goldies would eat them before they got big... i knew there were a few in the filter, but not this many entil today... so ya, im assuming thats what kind they are since thats what mu plants came in contact with (and i havent added any new plants since either). The babies look very much like the apples I got before when they were just a tad bigger then this. Some of them are blue and purple, and the rest and brownish yellow color.

Guest Chishower

THats really odd, because Apple snails lay bright colored clutches above the waterline.

With those colors, though, dont think they are pest snails...

If you want to try to keep them, you could set up a tub, lay the cartrige in it, put some boiled lettuce or some other yummy snail things and wait for them to leave the cartridge to eat.

And you could rinse the filter out in the tub too.

If you leave them in the filter, they could clog it up so I would remove them if at all possible.

:D Thanks so much.

So do you think I should try to push them off the sides of the filter, or just un plug the filter and set it in the tub of water and wait for them to come off??? Im worried about not have the filter running in the tank... but I do have two, so I guess I could do one this week, hook it back up, and do the other? I just feel awful throwing them out. I looked at all of them on the filter pad... and i was like awww... their so cute... and could only imagine them dying in the garbage can... No a good feeling. I dont know what im going to do with all of them when they do get bigger, but i'd much rather save them and then figure that out, then kill them. LOL..... im sure i can find a few people who would want some. Their just soo cute, how could you resist..

I'll have to get some pictures of them. Theirs a really bright purple one sitting on the filter flow... Hes soo cute, and a bunch of blue ones as well. Their cute :D

Thanks again :heart

Guest Chishower

Thats a tough call. How big are they exactly? You might be able to lure them out pretty quickly with a good treat, or even flush water through it a few times.

I know how you feel...I flushed some pest snails once, and the next morning there was one still clinging to the bowl, so I let him go outside in our drain to live with the billions of other snails there.

Ok I really think their apples. When I stuck the filter pad in the tub, I also dumped out any water in the filter and tried to get as many of the bigger snails off the sides, and left the tiny ones so they could get bigger, and then ill get them off, but anyways, one fell out the size of a quarter!! NO JOKE. He was unfortunantly dead, and all that was left was his shell (must have been too small of a space, not enough food, and just couldnt get out im assuming) but he was definantly an apple snail... so im assuming the rest should be as well. I was just shocked to see one THAT big in there (this was the filter I hadnt cleaned out and even really checked to see how many where in that one). So now I have approx. 75 baby snails in the tub, and thats ONLY coming from one of the filters.... i still have the other one to try to clean out, and thats also not including the really tiny baby snails that i was too afraid to mess with because they looked so fragile.... LOL... so when their big enough, anyone who wants them, can have as many as they would like!!! I cant really keep them... espec. with the planted tank... but who knows, i may fall in love with one or two of them and keep them, but i cant keep all of them!! LOL.... just let me know, and I can let everybody know when their ready. :heart

Guest Chishower

Thats crazy!

And with all those snails hidden away in there, your bio filter on that tank should be able to handle just about anything. A slight exageration, I'll admit, but they are messy little buggers.

I was thinking, maybe the big snail was the mother? I dont see how you could have missed a bright pink egg mass above the water line unless the mother layed the eggs inside the filter, was trapped, died, and then the babies hatched and you never noticed.

You might want to add liquid calicum to keep the water hard, so that they grow up with strong shells, IMO.

And I want pictures of these little guys!

:unsure: Very odd to hear of all the apple snails inside your filter..As many apple snails that I own,I've never had that happen.The only snails that ever did that to me were Ramshorns(Planorbids). Apple Snails are funny though when they wanna lay eggs,they'll go anywhere that they think works for them.Actually,it is very easy to miss the pinkish eggs above the waterline-especially when your snail decides to leave them up under the light of your Aquarium,or on the OUTSIDE of your Aquarium glass,or on the filter box itself. :lol: This tank sits up against the wall,so when they lay eggs in the back of the glass,or the outside of the filter-I don't always spot them. I have found many a clutch in the light itself.Most usually have dried out by the time I spot them-but alot have hatched too.If you're seeing the on the intake tube,you might want to cover the tube with a sponge(like the ones that come with Aquaclear filter's,because if your suction is strong-it can kill them.I have very strong filter's,and when that happens,their bodies get pulled right into it. :crp Not pretty.Never try to pick them off the intake if your filter's running,but you can just pick them out of the inside of the filter/or on the filter pads with no problem.Apple Snails(Brigs) really don't do much damage to planted tanks,as long as they're receiving fresh veggies,and food.It's the Cana's,Insularum's,Marissa's,Spixi's that you gotta watch. :lol: Anyway,Good luck with the babies!

You should never flush any fish or snails. It is not only bad for the water systems, but also for the living creature you're flushing into an ammonia filled stream. Not very humane. :unsure:

I am glad you're keeping the babies! I loved raising snails - they were fun to watch and when they finally grew up, it was crazy to look back at how small they all once were. :)

Thanks everyone! The snails in the tub are doing wonderfully. There are soooo many of them! Im gonna try to get pictures up today, but not sure how well it will show up on my digi camera since their soo small. LOL... Im acctually really excited. Is there anything special I should be feeding them besides regular stuff I would have fed to a larger snail?? Im gonna run out today and buy some liquid calcium so their shells stay nice and strong. Thanks everyone for all of the advice :D

oooh! lucky you!! I cant wait to see pics!

btw, if your having trouble getting them off the sides of the filter, use a index card, and slid it around, itll pick em all up, then you can dump them into where you want them from the index card without crunching their shells :)

Ok i may be wrong, but on part of my filter looks like a thing of eggs.... its kinda a pinkish goo looking stuff with little whitish dots all over in it... are these more snail eggs????

And the snails I got out of the filter thus far are doing awsome! Out of both filters theres close to 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Chishower

Pinkish goo sounds like eggs to me. I don't think you want to keep that clutch, though. I mean, the last thing you need is more snails!

Archived