Something I'd Never Noticed Before......

tinker

I was looking at some old pics of Desi, and noticed something since he's been in the 50 gallon tank.

His belly used to be kind of a silvery gray. You can sort of see it in this shot, not his full belly, but definetly he was that color underneath.

35gal006.jpg

Since he's been in the new tank, his belly is now SOLID black! :blink:

I'd thought his belly turning silver/gray, was just him getting older. Sorta like how we go gray?

Has anyone noticed this about their fish? Was it a water quality issue??

Well, you are lucky. Usually it's hard to keep the black, so if yours it getting more black that's terriffic!! In goldies black is an unstable color! My Red Oranda WAS a Black & Red Oranda when I got him!

I like the velvety black on Moors!!

It may have something to do with the available light in the different tank. I bought a blue telescope and thought I'd hit the jackpot. I put him in the outdoor tub and within days he had turned black on top and cream on the belly. He has stayed that way.

I also raised a fry indoors who was that nondescript bronze colour. After 4 months I put him outdoors in the tub and the same thing happened. He hasn't gone black on top yet but the colour is darkening and his belly is going lighter.

It beats me? :idont

wow..thats interesting...what are your water params...and what are you feeding your goldies

409367[/snapback]

In both tanks, they were mostly pretty good. I am anal about keeping the water as pristine as I can! The ONLY real difference I can tell, is the PH for some reason in the 50 gallon is 7.2, and its been 7.0 in the 35 and before that, in the 20 gallon.

One thing I wondered about too, is we REALLY noticed him turning gray/silver underneath back in March when they had ICH. But this is October.......it wouldnt have taken THIS long to completely recover, would it?

Here's a pic of him I just took.

desiretouched.jpg

Archived