Gravel Vacuum

Guest shygirl0787

Guest shygirl0787

Today I tried to vaccum my gravel for the first time. I have a simple medium sized cylinder and a big empty bucket. I tried to follow the directions on the package, but I can't seem to make it work. I feel really dumb because I'm moving the cylinder up and down to start the siphoning but I'm not getting the vacuuming action like I think I should. Any suggestions? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong... <_<

You may have to suck it to get the action working. Not the most pleasant way as you can get a mouthfull of water but you get to learn when to stop.

Another way is to put the whole lot under water and once the tube is full you put your thumb over the end and lower it into the bucket then let go.

I have that problem with my new gravel vac. I think some are self starting and some aren't, the big one I have starts just fine. To get it started just put the end of the tube agianst your lips and give one really hard suck and when the water is about a foot from your mouth quickly put the end into the bucket, it should start just fine, and you don't get water in your mouth

I had the same problem you did, shygirl. Then, it was suggested I started sucking!! :exactly

hehe

My husband then gave me some tool which I just attach to the end of the hose and it starts the sucking process for me. No mouth on tube anymore!

I do not advise putting your mouth on the siphon hose! G R O S S!!

Dip the barrel (the big end) in the water. Pull it up pointing the barrel upwards & plug the other end of the hose with your thumb just after the water starts flowing. Point the small end of the hose towards the bottom of the bucket (still plugged w/thumb) Dunk the Barrel end back in the tank. Release the hose end. Keep the Barrel pointed down & below the water level. Water should be flowing! Poke around (especially under decorations) to vaccuum out all the gunk you can. If you need to pause a minute plug the small end.

IMPORTANT INFO: Don't forget to keep glancing at your bucket...it's EASY to overflow!!

Use the old fish water on plants! You'll grow great flowers & veggies!!

Archived