Bonding With Your Babies

Guest PetalFlower

Guest PetalFlower

I was wondering if anyone could tell me - how do you get your fish to eat out of your hand? :huh:

Do you just hold a piece of food in your fingers, stick your whole hand in the tank? I'm a newbie and totally cluless :newfish , but I want to get to the point where I can handle my fish and they eat out of my hands. Any advice?

If you're around them alot, they'll get used to you. When all my goldies were in the 10 gal, I rearranged the tank every week. Now that they're in the 29 gal, I can put my hand in and they SWARM! I haven't gotten that far with Cracker yet. She's still too tiny for me to comfortably handle.

For me it was a gradual process.

Hope that helped some!

Guest PetalFlower

How long has it taken for them to come to you like that. I'm only 3.5 weeks in and I spend a lot of time everyday tending to them, moving stuff around, changing water of course. They come to the front of the tank when I walk up, but they swim away from my hands.

I've had my commons (and Glenn) for four or five months. It only took a month or two of rearranging for them to get used to me. It might've had something ot do with the tiny tank they were in. (11 goldies in a 10 gal) It only took them a month or three. i don't remember exactly.

Not to sound discouraging, but it took me the better part of a year to get my goldie to eat out of my hand. He was just a little bunch of fearfullness for the longest time and didn't trust people one bit. It can take a while with some fish, so don't get discouraged if a few weeks go by with not much change. Eventually they will get used to you and trust you (though I doubt it'll take a year...that was just absurd!). Some fish are very slow to warm up, others will happily take the food--and your fingers and your hand and your arm--at the first opportunity. Try using foods that give off an odor, or being a little late at feeding time one day. Hungrier fish are more likely to be bold.

If you dont' do it conciously, you'll just notice one day: Hey! There's a fishy in my hand! That's sorta what I did. I wasn't purposly doing it, so I didn't really notice.

I agree with Donya! Don't get discouraged!

Guest PetalFlower

I don't mind it taking a while - I'm hoping to have them around for many, many years!

I was wondering what you actually do to feed them out of your hand. Do you cup your hand with a few pieces in it? Put you hand flat? Hold it in your figers?

I tried once to see if they would come to me, but the food just kinda rolled off my hand. I feel so stupid! :blink:

Guest JustJayde

Depends what kind of food you are using, flakes aren't much good for hand feeding but anything that wont dissolve fast works great!

My fishie was in my hand within 2 weeks, he has no fear LOL I just held the gel food and peas in my palm , closed my fingers around it to lower hand in tank, then SLOWLY opened my fingers in the water....

good luck and be patient :D

Guest PetalFlower

I just tried and I think my current tank is too small to get away from the current of the filter. I'll just have to wait until I get my "real" tank.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. :)

I never really thought about it. During my weekly water change & re-decorating I realize the "guys" were checking out my hand. Occasionally they will get in my hand It feels special that they trust like that!

I have tried hand feeding (was curious when someone mentioned it). I just pinched some flakes & stuck my hand in the water. Once one fish discovered where the flakes were it became a feeding frenzy!

it;s a rewarding experienc...I dont feed my big goldies much from my hand anymore...but they do follow my hand when I'm putting food in the tank

my fry all sim away from me ... lol...

My tip is peas! If your goldies are anything like my fishy, they?ll overcome their fear of your hand for some peas! I just hold a bit of the pea between my fingers and he?ll come straight over and get it!

And I have to add, hand feeding has been a life saver cos since my fish got ill he hasn?t been looking about for food but he?ll come to my hand cos he?s certain there?ll be food there! :D

Some fish are braver then others and some take awhile longer to get used to you. My shub will nip at my fingers if I stick them into her tank as well as nip at my arm and swim around me while I'm siphoning her tank :D it is the cutest thing. Good luck!

I started out by holding the food between my thumb and index fingers, hold it in the water for a short time and then drop it from your fingers. Eventually the fish will start associating your fingers with food. Before you know it they will be trying to grab it from your fingers. Mine will suck on my fingers, hand, arm, whenever I've got my hand in the tank. :D Just work with them everyday.

All my fish just caught on REALLY fast. I really dont know why. I would just hold a chunk of gel food in there..or sometimes Ill pinch some flakes in my fingers and let them pick at it. I have two fish that wont eat from my hand. Lacy, my adult moor (all my other fish are babies), and peewee, my smallest white common. all other 12 fish eat from my fingers and learned to do it in about 3 or 4 days.

:D Hi,

try satsumas, oranges etc. Put out the flesh form the secment and this sort of hangs from your nails. Just leave your hand in there very still and see if they nibble. My boys have no fear and are always pecking my hands and arms when I'm rearranging or cleaning.

Guest PetalFlower

What kind of peas do you guys feed your fish? frozen, fresh, canned? I know they have to be shelled. Thus far I've only used baby food peas to make gel food.

Also, maybe my fish are just wierd, but they don't seem to like oranges! :o I've tried to put orange rings in the tank, I've tried to pick off little pieces of the pulp and give it to them too, but they just spit it back out, or sniff it and move on.

I've also been having a hard time keeping their attention with sinking crumbles. They'll eat a few and loose interest. The only thing they really seem to go nuts over :krazy: is gel food, brine shrimp & blood worms. They totally ignore lettuce too! :idont

Archived