Newbie Advise

Guest PetalFlower

Guest PetalFlower

Hello all - I first wanted to say that how grateful I am that Koko started this site. To make a long story short I ended up with 2 lovely little Goldies about 3 weeks ago; Xaiyou (red, black& white fantail) and Finley (Metallic orange fantail).

This is the first time I've ever had fish and I AM ADDICTED! They are the cutest little buggers ever :heart !

Anyway let me get my reason for this post - Luckily I have found a wealth of information on this site which has been a life saver (my fish's that is). I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and know if there anything else I should or could be doing to make thier lives more happy and comfortable. Here is a description of what I've got and what I'm doing.

Tank: 5 gallon (will getting a 30 gallon soon! :D )

Filtration: Whisper in tank & Dirt Magnet Jr. sponge filter

Fish: 2 fantails approx. 2" without tail

Foods: I rotate - Sinking crumbles, brine shrimp, blood worms, sardines, baby shrimp, home-made gel (peas, carrots greenbeans, blood worms, baby shrimp, pellets)

Water changes: Almost a gallon every day! :blink: With two of those guys in that tiny little tank it seems like the amonia levels go up really fast. I'm starting to feel like it's never going to get through the cycle.

Cleaning: I vacuum the gravel a little each time I do a water change.

I know this is a really, really long post and I'm sorry about that. I do have another question. Xaiyou started out being mostly orange with a a little black on the head and around the mouth. Now it seems she(?) it turning chocolate! Is that normal? :huh:

I think you are doing a good job - daily water changes are very good since they are in such a small tank. Glad to see you will be getting a bigger one soon - 30 gallons will be great for them!

Can you tell us what your typical readings are? The black coloring could be either the result of the ammonia being high.

Good luck! And :welcome

:welcome

unless you have really odd reading i would suspect it is just a colour change... my ryukin, common & a comet were orange and black, now he's just orange, my comet was orange and now white.... tis normal. :)

Hi Petalflower and :welcome It's good to see that you've done a bit of reading and it seems you are clued up on the basics of goldfish care, congratulations!

It sounds like you are doing everything right. The main thing at the moment is to keep an eye on those ammonia/nitrIte levels because they can be killers. You could even change 2g of water a day to be on the safe side.

Just a word of advice in advance for when you get your 30g. Transfer your current fish into the 30g and don't get anymore until it has cycled. The cycle should be quite gentle with 2 small fish in a large tank. Also transfer the filter material from the 5g over to the 30g filter because it would have accumulated some bacteria and will help kick start the cycle in the 30g.

Good luck. Enjoy your fish and enjoy your time on Kokos.

Guest PetalFlower

I'm not sure what you mean by my typical reading. But I have 1 book that I think pretty much stinks. It's call An Owner's Guide To A Happy Healthy Pet. They say things like goldie's only live 2-5 years and that "If given enough room will grow to ..." Which I think is a load of bollucks! <_<

Mostly I have gotten from this site! I've been reading through the message boards and web page since the first day I brought them home and was desperate for as much information as I could get on Goldfish care.

Guest PetalFlower

Thank you all so much! I will start changing out 2 gallons. I was planning to try an cycle my new tank before I moved them over, but if you think that it won't be too stressful I would love to get them into the bigger tank ASAP! Once that's cycled, I want to get a Red Cap Oranda :heart and a Pleco. Would a algae eating shrimp be alright in there too, or would it get eaten by the fish?

I'm a little worried about keeping the water cool enough in the summer though, any suggestions?

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Hi PetalFlower

:welcome

As I'm sure you've seen on this site, a 5 gallon is way to small. It will be almost impossible to cycle that. How high has your ammonia been getting? You'll want to keep it as low as possible, at least below 1ppm.

Just a question, is this a mini bow tank? If it is, then that filter won't ve able to handle the waste from a goldie. For goldie tanks you really need a filter that runs at 10 times the tank size, i.e. 5 gallon = 50 gph filter.

Like I said, I'm sure you've already read that on Koko's.

Now on to Xaiyou. You said he/she is turning chocolate. Is it chocolate or black? Does it look like he/she rolled in a pile of ashes from a fire? Thats usually ammonia burns. Some fish handle it better than others. I had one fish that could handle the ammonia, my other fish Neptune, was constantly getting burned (ammonia was ~ 0.5 ppm) and eventually died from it.

Where you're still cycling the tank, I'm going to say the change is from the ammonia. All you can do is try to keep it as low as possible.

Until you get a the 30 gallon, is it possible you could go to a store and pick up another tank or even cheaper a rubbermaid container. You could get a 5 gallon one, put in an intank filter, and keep one fish in there until you can get the 30 gallon. Its not the best situation, but it would be better.

Sorry for the long reply :D

Good luck,

Jessica

Guest PetalFlower

Ahhh - Level reading! Don't I feel like a dumb ######... :rolleyes:

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Hardiness - 75 (soft)

KH (Alk) - 180-300

PH - 7.8-8.4

Ammonia - .5 - which is why I'm freaking out! I keep adding water, and keep adding new water....

I'm going to measure now 2 gallons a day. I hope this will help my poor little babies!!! :(

Guest PetalFlower

Xaiyou's black areas started getting larger and she looked like someone had rubbed shoe polish on her (could still see metallic orange coming through) which makes her look brown.

Guest PetalFlower

Wow, I didn't know that about the filter, but I did notice that it really can't handle the volume. I have to take it out all the time and rinse it off.

I think I'm going to have to run out today and get at least a 10 gallon.

Why don?t you set up your 30 gal, use 25 gal new dechlorinated water and 5 gal water from the current tank, run your new bigger filter alongside the small filter for a couple of months so the bacteria can build up. Also nutrafin do some cycle water treatment for new filters. Then you can use the new tank sooner. After your tank has cycled then you can get the red cap & plec. :)

Wow, I didn't know that about the filter, but I did notice that it really can't handle the volume.  I have to take it out all the time and rinse it off.

409073[/snapback]

you rinse in tank water yeh? not tap?

Ammonia at .5 level won't give a fish ammonia burns, has it been any higher that you know of? Really, it would have to way high to burn.

Don't rush out and buy a 10g if you are going to get a 30g soon. If you are really concerned you could get a 10g rubber maid or plastic storage tub and use that, otherwise you could be just wasting money.

It actually sounds like your water parameters are quite good, if I were in your position I would just up the water changes.

Guest PetalFlower

I rinse my filter in my "Fish Water". I keep a few gallons under the sink. I didn't think I should be using tap water for anything for my fish right?

Guest PetalFlower

Thank you all so much, you've been so helpful!

I have to say I'm now officially a goldfish lover and I am so happy that there are so many others who love to talk abuot their fish.

I'll be around and hope to eventually post some pics of my babies. Can't wait to get my Oranda!!!

Archived