Heater's?

fondoo

i'm curious...how many people here are using a heater and where are you located?

this weekend the outside temp dropped to 49F and the house has been 68F. I've noticed how inactive that fishes are. the temp in the tank was below 70F. so, i installed a rena heater and they look more comfortable.

That is a very good question Fondoo and I have wondered about that myself. My understanding is that 68-72 is the ideal temp. for goldies. As you know, my goldie started to dropsy and I was advised to raise the temp. to 80 to boost the immune system. Now I am told that I must wait 2 weeks after completing the MetroMed cycle to very gradually lower the temp. 1 degrees a week back to 70. The question this raises is, if it boosts their immune system, why wouldn't you just keep it at 80 degrees all year round? What is the downside to keeping the temp. 80 degrees all year round? And what is it about the 68-72 degrees that makes it ideal for the goldfish? Hopefully, one of the Koko experts will see your thread and give us an answer.

Guest JustJayde

My tank rides on 77-81 naturally..........

no matter how hot or cold my home is , so it would seem.

My fish doesn't seem to mind it, but maybe long term it isn't good for them? I don't know....

I would like to know, too. Just last week my tank was at 80. Now it's topping 70 b/c it gets quite chilly here at night and the upstairs where the tank is kept is at a cool 65 at night. I am debating getting a small heater, but I only have a 10 gallon.....

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I've read that higher temps create oxygen problems in the water.

I've noticed my goldies get sluggish when it gets up to 80 +. I live in Massachusetts & there were days this summer that it got so hot that I had my stepdad put an AC in my room, just for the goldies. :D

I was comfortable, but the fish weren't. I usually keep my tank at 72.

~ Jessica

I think the fish actually do like the higher temperatures and are more active, but it will reduce their life span. They are cold water fish and ideally 68-72 is good. At lower temps they become less active and somehow this translates into a longer lifespan. Goldfish in ponds go into a type of hibernation in the winter when it gets really cold, that is really inactive!

Sacreligeoushippie is correct, higher temperatures reduces the oxygen concentration in the water. Thats why if you have a sick fish and increase the temp to boost the fishes immune system, you should always put an airstone or bubble bar in to add oxygen.

I'm in Queensland Australia and i dont use a heater. I dont even use a heater for my tropicals.

The heat goes over 100 in the tanks easily in summer (the tanks have been close now and its only spring). I dont find them being sluggish or anything, they are more sluggish in winter where is only 75-80 or so.

Archived