Cycle Is Not Progressing

Guest banahud

Guest banahud

I have had a 10 gallon tank for a month now - and the cycle is not progressing at all- The ammonia keeps going over 2 and I keep doing water changes, the nitrites are almost always at .25, and the nitrates have never been higher than 10- We did go through a very cloudy phase which I assume was the bacterial bloom- but shouldn't some of the parameters changed by now?

Oh I probably should mention I am a newbie and did not cycle before getting fish- was 2 goldfish now only one.

Well, the good news is that once you get nitrAte readings the cycle is almost complete. It is not unusual for a cycle to take 6 weeks.

Your nitrItes are close to zero but the ammonia is still rather high. Do you think you might be feeding a bit much?

There are various products on the market that contain bacteria and enzymes that help with the cycle. I always use "Cycle" and it works for me.

Guest banahud

Thanks for the reassurance- I just bought cycle today and was going to ask if I should use it- so I guess I will- I definitely was feeding too much in the beginning- but the lil guy hasn't been eating since his friend died on Tuesday so I haven't been feeding much at all lately- Just dropping a flake in to see if he responds (he used to come right up)- Maybe I need to do a real hard core gravel cleaning?

The 'Cycle' should definately help. A good gravel clean to get rid of excess muck could help too. Although as a general rule of thumb I never gravel vac while the tank is cycling. The water needs the waste to convert to ammonia etc. So if there is excess muck that could also indicate overfeeding.

Guest banahud

No change in the little guy-

I bought another water test kit- and some of the results are very different

Aquarium Pharmecuticals- Take water samples drop liquids in

Ammonia- .5

Nitrite- between 0 & .25

Nitrate- 5

ph- 7.4

Jungle Lab- Test strips

Ammonia- .5

Nitrite- 3

Nitrate- 20

GH- 75

KH- 80

ph- 7.8

Which one is right?

I am more inclined to go with the drop tests (assuming both sets of tests have not expired).

It is often hard to read the strip tests & many users have had issues with them giving false readings (I myself like the strip tests for quick testing & the droppers for verifying problems)

(As an aside my first tank took about 13 weeks to cycle fully - don't give up hope!)

:D

We have fairly new 10 gallon and it took much longer to cycle than I thought it would--a solid 6 weeks.

Hang in there!

As for cycle, I used it as well, but can't really tell if it worked or not. I will say that I've recenly read some persuasive stuff online about those kinds of bio-bug 'assist" products. The consensus seems to be that those products can speed the process of cycling, but lead to a somewhat less stable bio bug environment.

Not sure if this is true or not, but it bears consideration.

Archived