Ouch! Poor Bugger

Guest WoodenCoyote

Guest WoodenCoyote

I was taking the oranaments out of Bugger's tank yesterday, when I accidently dropped one on him! He's lost a few of his pretty white scales on his side, but otherwise he seems fine. I think I was more upset about it than he was! :krazy:

ps: Would it be over-cautious of me to drop a little melafix in the tank, just in case?

Guest WoodenCoyote
I am sure you feel just terrible, but unfortunately, these accidents happen  :(

409004[/snapback]

Yea... I had a dream last night that he got really sick [ it was funny though, in my dream he was a huge fish, but in reality he's only a few inches long. Wishful thinking, I think :D ]

I was planning to look for my second fish today. Should I wait now until his scales grow back?

I was planning to look for my second fish today. Should I wait now until his scales grow back?

409007[/snapback]

Hmm for the best interest of ur fish it might be better to wait until the scales grow back. I say 2 weeks and u can get that second fish :D

As long as the wound isn't down into the flesh, then I think you could go ahead and get your other fish. Sometimes if there is an open wound, another fish will pick on it, but if it is just a few scales gone and the skin in intact, then I would say it would be OK. Just another opinion ... :D

You may notice a bit of jostling when you put the two fish together, however, that usually settles down in a day or two.

Is this a new tank you are starting up because when adding fish you get into questions of quarantining and cycling?

Guest WoodenCoyote
As long as the wound isn't down into the flesh, then I think you could go ahead and get your other fish. Sometimes if there is an open wound, another fish will pick on it, but if it is just a few scales gone and the skin in intact, then I would say it would be OK.  Just another opinion ... :D

Is this a new tank you are starting up because when adding fish you get into questions of quarantining and cycling?

409037[/snapback]

Yea, it looks like only three scales are missing. He's acting pretty normal; hyper, hungry. Playing with his plastic anemone. Makes you wonder if he's even noticed :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm getting ready for a new tank. The plan now is to set up on Tuesday, and let it settle. Buy the new fish on Thursday. I'll put Bugger in the big tank, and the new guy gets the old 3 gal until I'm sure there's nothing wrong with him. After that, I'll rearrange the ornaments etc and put them both in together.

Am I missing anything?

Guest WoodenCoyote
sadden to hear about the little accident...are you planning to use bugger to cycle the new tank?

409346[/snapback]

I guess so. I'm new to this whole process really. Cycling is when you use fish to increase levels of things in the tank, right?

Cycling is the process that creates the bio-bugs that help keep ammonia and other harmful things at bay. Its hard on the fish when you cycle with them in there, it's best to use store bought ammonia and cyle it with that but it also depends on your situation. If Bugger is in a tank that is too small for him than it probably wouldn't be any worse than what hes got now, you just have to watch the ammonia levels like a hawk, test at least once a day until nitrAtes start showing up and do water changes accordingly.

This link might help if you haven't already read it Click Here

The page talks about cylcing with a fish, that will work but make sure you think about what will be done with the fish afterwards before you buy it if you don't want to use Bugger.

Guest WoodenCoyote

I don't want to stress Bugger out, so I guess I can't use him for cycling, huh? It might be simpler to buy ammonia...

The article says to use a Danio to cycle my tank. What kind of fish is that? Could I leave one in my tank after the set up, when I move Bugger and the new guy in? [ Bug's a pearlscale ]

I don't know much about Danios but I did find the link to an old topic in the compatible fish section, it answers common concerns about Danios in with the goldies.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...=32132&hl=danio

Guest WoodenCoyote
If you seed your new tank with some gravel from the old tank, and also use some of the filter media from the cycled filter in the new filter, that will really kick start the process.

What kind of filters are you using?

409390[/snapback]

I haven't one in the old tank. That's a big part of why I'm upgrading. But I do have gravel :lol:

Guest WoodenCoyote
Have you already picked out your tank yet?  If so, do you know what size it will be and what type of filter?

409501[/snapback]

I bought a kit by TopFin, that comes complete with the filter, tank, hood etc. Its a ten gal. On their own the equipment comes up to over $120. As a student my money is very, very tight, so for me the kits are great. The one I bought only cost $60.

How is your little guy lookin today?

He looks fine aside from the three missing scales. He's acting normally too; I've been watching him like a hawk :krazy:

Archived