Help Me Decide..

Kissy

Which other fish species should I get for my 10 gal tank with black neon tetras?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which other fish species should I get for my 10 gal tank with black neon tetras?

• cories
    • glowlight tetras
    • ember tetras
    • a combination of three types
    • other (please specify in reply)

Hi all :)

I started a topic elsewhere about if cories are okay in my tank, and so the topic changed, and I thought a poll would be best.

10 gallon tank with two black neon tetras, and I need to get some friends for them, that comes first. I want to have some variety in my tank, but I can't decide! pH-7.9-8

kH- over 300

gH- very soft, but adjustable if needed

filter-100 gph penguin. I'm going to try and rig up some aquaclear biomedia to keep in the tank to keep the bio-load stable and supportive.

What do you guys think? If space wasn't an obstacle (but I'm guessing it is) I would want to keep a combo of black neons, cories and glowlights. Do black neons and glowlights school nicely together? If I do have the space, what are some good numbers for the three fish? More than likely, its not enough room and I will have to choose only one more fish species. I'm thinking something like 6 black neons and 3 cories, 5 black neons and 5 glowlights, or 6 black neons and 6 ember tetras (they are about 3/4"). Do these numbers seem okay? What should I get? I want some fish that are pretty, but have cute personalities. More suggestions are always welcome.

Guest JustJayde

Hmnnn by the time I hit send I forgot what I voted for LOL

Me and my multitasking!

I like all the ones you mentioned, but of course not as much as goldies ;)

I also would go with the cories and some more tetras, either the glowlight or the black neons.

I have found the peppered, bronze or albino (a form of the bronze) cories to be the most hardy. They like to be kept in a shoal, so get at least three, as you mentioned :-).

With good maintenance, your tank could support the cories (which are not dirty fish) and the tetras easily.

I voted other as you need to get more black neons. Get f more black neons and then maybe two corys bit you are pushing the stocking level.

You must as well quarantine new arrivals or you will be putting your existing fish in danger of cross contamination.

Get f more black neons

409031[/snapback]

Sandy, do you mean four?

Of course everyone will be quarentined for at least 4-5 weeks before introducing them to my others. The filter is cycling in the big tank right now :)

I decided to go with the black neons and cories :) So 6 black neons and 3 cories is too much? I picked out names for the cories already! Hoover, Oreck, and Bissell :D I guess I'll have to narrow it down to 2 though. Will they do okay with just two?

magick, do you mean a total of 6 black neons, 3 glowlights, and 3 cories? I dunno..I'm good with waterchanges and stuff, but I'm always nervouse about overstocking lol. What is your tropical tank like?

magick, 12 is a lot of fish in a ten, even w/ good water :) i'm guessin that's not what ya meant.

i like ur pick for new fish kissy, and the names too :)

or you could do like this lady at the petstore was tryin to do and buy 3 baby bala sharks and a blue channel cat for her ten gallon!! luckilly the staff there explained to her what would happen before i had to smack her upside the head :ignore

10-16" for the balas, but they need 4 ft minimum of straight out swiming room.

don't know what a blue channel catfish is or if i even got that name right; i overheard the conversation but didn't double back to check what was in the tank. but my pictus catfish is just about 6 inches (from 1.5 inches just a few months ago) and he'll get to about 10" as well when he's full grown.

here's a pretty bad pic of my scaredy cat. no name yet, i'm really slow about that. he zips around in and out of his cave so fast i can't even dream of taking a good shot, even w/ the apeture at the quickest setting. even to eat, he'll zoom around, pick up the pellet he wants, and carry it off.

i must admit he was somewhat of an impulse buy after i set up this new aquarium, i didn't get to do my research before hand. i really like him tho. they do ok in my basic water (7.1). i guess i lucked out, cuz even tho he's so spastic he doesnt' upset the balas any, even when he zooms right past 'em.

all the pics i've seen online they're sort of dark w/ darker spots, but mine's real light w/ dark spots. oh, and don't catch them w/ a net, they'll get their stuff stuck :)

713fdf1c.jpg

[edit] much better :)

oh, and i just found something online that says they only grow to 6", but i would swear the info card at the pet store said 10". maybe someone else knows?

Aww they are cute :) I remember watching a vvvv worker try to net one and ended up tearing half its body off :(

I'm hoping to get the tropicals this sunday-tuesday. Next week is fall break so no school, and I'll have plenty of time to do fish stuff. There is a fish place I heard of thats about 45 minutes away that is supposed to carry ALL KINDS of tropicals, and they are supposed to be healthy too. Its advertised as an aquarium/fish store converted from a roller rink, so I'm really excited! I hope these fish are as healthy as I've heard, because everywhere else over here they are dieing of finrot/parasites/ick etc. I'm not sure what is going on with my cycling 29 gal and filters...It was cycled, but now I add fish food and no ammonia and nitrites show up at all. I'm hoping I didn't kill the buggies. I am going to try and set up the filters in another container so I can watch if nitates go up. If not, fishies might have to wait a while.

ohh, that's awful. don't they train these people??

hope all is going well w/ your filter and cycling, mostly cuz i wanna see pics of your new aquarium next week :D

and that's really cool 'bout the new pet store find too. i hope they have a ton of healthy fish to choose from and you get to spend hours trying to pick just which ones you want. lol.

me too! ^-^ My parents would probably be best off just dropping me off and leaving lol. My ten gallon isn't anything special. I actually didn't buy anything other than the gravel and the old cheapo filter I'm tossing. One of the tetras was a rescue last year and he came in the tank with all the cheesey decorations. Pics anyways :P

Heh..always seems like we are the last ones up. I have to go because the computer will kick me off in 30 seconds...'night!

Archived